G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo

+4
thatfnthing
brownbomber77
fasrnur
bigredlaguna
8 posters

Go down

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo Empty Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo

Post by VikingDK Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 am

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for new wheels for my 73 Monte Carlo. I have been searching the forum with not much luck, as to what size tire the Monte will take in the rear. I plan on going with 17" wheels and wonder if I can fit 315/35 on them?

What is your experience on this?

Thanks
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo Empty Re: Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo

Post by impalamonte Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Not the exact size but some guidance.
I feel like that on the rear , I could manage another inch of back spacing.
On the front , I am maxed out as I have only 3/8" clearance before touching the frame lock to lock with the steering wheel.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:03 pm

18 x 9.5 rims, but only 255 tires...is that correct?

I will properbly go with 275/40-17 for ordinary crusing. But I will be building a ZZ502 with 600HP and will be going to the strip once in wile, so would like to get as much grip as possible for that. So I will be buying a extra set of wheels for that with 315/35-17 if possible?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Make sure the bushings in the suspension are in good shape so the side to side motion is minimized. I would then measure the distance from the frame to the axle flange and subtract an acceptable amount of clearance to find out what your max backspacing/sidewall bulge could be. Then do the same for the wheelwell lip to axle flange. You may have to roll the lip up to prevent cutting the tire.

I am confident in telling anyone that a 295/50-15 tire on a 10" rim with 5" backspace will clear on any a-body car. Above that, then you need to get specific dimensions for your ride. The production tolerances were looser back then, so big wheel/tire recommendations are really hard to lock down.

You might ask around on some drag racing forums what tire generally works best for traction on a heavy car like ours. My gut tells me that a 15" rim/tire would be best, but I am far from expert about this. Good luck!
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:54 pm

bigred: you have a point regarding 15" vs 17" might be better to consider the 15" to get the tall tire for better grib on the strip :-)
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 am

I'm running 17x9 wheels with 275/40 up front and 275/50 out back, and I've about maxed out my clearance.  I can (and am planning to) go to 275/50 up front, since the 40s look a little short to me, and I will still clear the wells, frame, fender, and suspension components, but there isn't much to spare.  I would think a 295 would be iffy, and a 315 is not happening at all without some serious mods. Front OR back.

My wheels are 6" back spacing, but I run adapters because I had to change bolt circles from 4.75 and 5 to 5.5.

Based on what others have reported, it seems the Chevelles can swallow bigger meat than the Montes.  You know, so to speak. Wink
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Depends on the tire manufacture and also the wheel offset. I've got 295/50/15 on a set of factory Olds Rally wheels. They don't rub in the back even without the spacer.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo 015-111
I don't remember what size these are., but they're huge!
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 am

Thought he got 295s on all 4

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 am

fasrnur wrote:Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo 015-111
I don't remember what size these are., but they're huge!

Yes, and it illustrates my point -- the Chevelles clearly have more room in there.

But the question was what fits on a 73 Monte.  I can tell you that 295's will likely not work without rubbing on something.  Not without jacking it up sky high or making some mods.  My 275's are about as centered in the wells as you can get, and they come awfully close to rubbing on the sway bar and fender lip up front, and the back has about 3/8" clearance on either side of the tire.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 am

thatThing: I better listend to you and ImpalaMonte, since your the ones with actually first hand knowlegde on the monte Smile
I will go with 275 on the rear, but up front I will just put some 255 on. I will get some good quality drag radials on the rear to get as much grip as possible...and 275 is a "mainstream" size, so it will be easy to get cheap tires for saterday night burnouts Very Happy
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Thumbs up
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 am

Im not a fan of o Big a tire size on the fronts, in my opinion it makes the car catch the white stribes on the highway. Also it gives Way to much Road feedback in the steeringwheel but thats just me.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Hs1973 wrote:Im not a fan of o Big a tire size on the fronts, in my opinion it makes the car catch the white stribes on the highway. Also it gives Way to much Road feedback in the steeringwheel but thats just me.

I to do not like to have to much tire in the front, looks cooler to me when the rear tires are wider Smile
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 am

This past weekend I installed 295 / 45 on the rear. Rims are 5.25" backspacing. If they were offered for my style of rim...I could go for another .75" of backspacing.

I have 3/8" before my outer sidewall would interfere with the lip of the fender with the springs in compression.

impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 am

Very Happy This is the exact kind of info I was looking for, thanks a million. Now I am much better suited for shopping new rims and tires Very Happy

Any pictures of the new tires on the monte?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marx3 Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am

I recently took some measures to see what backspacing would work for 275/70-15.
Got an 15x8 inch wheel with 4”backspacing. In front it will definitely clear the fender lip and with plenty of room to not rub the frame either.
I haven’t put in my front inner fenders yet, but I am 99% sure these wheels will fit without rubbing. The plan is to lower the car slightly though.
In the back there is plenty of room for the 275/60 but it will take more backspacing to clear the fender lip. 4.25” will probably clear the lip and 4.5” BS will for sure.

I’ll double check tonight though

Are you the guy that knows Thomas Velde?
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:18 am

Marx3: Yes I now Thomas Velde, he is a buddy of mine from the US car club :-) I didnt now he was in here too?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo 20180612

Hard to see in the below picture. But on there.  18" rims.

Max tire size for 73 Monte Carlo 20180613
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am

ImpalaMonte: that looks so cool Thumbs up 18" rims right? and Nitto 555 G2 tires. I will go that way too, and a set for the strip with the NT05R...think that will work well to 600hp.

Do you now how much power you are making after the procharger install?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:48 am

I have no idea the horsepower. Have not had it on a dyno. Per the spec of the Vortec , it was said to raise 100 hp and 100 ft. lbs. torque. Motor is a mostly stock LT1.

I also just installed a meth injection kit too.

But I do know that my car weighs 4040 with less than a quarter tank of gas. She's a heavy girl !! I would have to have MUCH more HP to compensate for that weight.

Its a great cruiser.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am

Just had mine on the scale for the inspection guys and it said 4100 with a full tank. I plan on removing all the stuff in the front bumper...and all the AC stuff, dont need that in Denmark :-) Mine is a 350/350 all original. When the 502 and 4L80E comes in, I dont think it will be heavier, since there are so much aluminum instead of all that iron. I am very curious about it anyway, so I will defenently put it on the scale again next summer.

A buddy in the US car club drives a 71 Impala and thats a really heavy girl :-) but he has installed a 632 cubic inch with 650hp and then he has 2-300 on the nitrus, so it goes pretty well down the strip anyway :-)

But thanks again for the tire info, really helpfull Thumbs up

VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down