G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigblock conversion

+5
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
bigredlaguna
pila
Joe73
73ss
9 posters

Go down

Bigblock conversion Empty Bigblock conversion

Post by Hs1973 Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi guys.

I have had the luck of making a major score. My body has a 68 camaro and is upgrading his driveline, so bought his fresh rebuild 454 and a fresh th 700r4 that is prepped and rebuild to handle the 500 hp that the engine puts out.

Now my Chevelle is a 350/350 combo and i know i need to shorten the driveshaft and find new motor mounts, upgrade my radiator. But what other challenges can i expect when putting the larger engine in my car. The motor comes some accesorries but not starter generator steering pump etc. Does anything from the smallblock fit or do i need new stuff everywhere? Any advise is welcome.

Regards from frozen Copenhagen.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Bigblock conversion Empty Re: Bigblock conversion

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Driveshaft should remain the same as your turbo 350.  Since the 700 and 350 are about the same length and use the same spline.  If you have a nice clean 2 row radiator now you will be fine with a Hayden 2747 clutch and 7 blade fan.  You will need a different fan shroud.  Motor mounts will probably work but you might have to change their position to the other set of holes.  And of course you will need to mod the exhaust.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Except for the water pump, All accessories will interchange but, You will need BB specific brackets for them. Water pump and main drive pulleys are BB specific as well. Small block motor mounts will work, but the Frame mounts are BB specific, They sit just a touch higher than the small block mounts.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Everything you need to know about cooling. Long read but great info of what works. GM has the best setup.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/201-2014/606465-cooling-101-setup-keeps-old-school-bbc-sbc-motors-nice-cool.html
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm

X2 on the 7-blade fan with a clutch !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Unless the th350 has a 9" tailshaft, the 700r4 is longer than the th350. The 2004r is a R&R. So yes, the driveshaft will need to be shortened.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 pm

So it seems i have most of what i need then. My body has upgraded to serpentine setup, so all the original brackets is with the engine. Im Real stoked on this build, and i will certenly return with more questions when i get startet. But overall i Think it will be fairly easy to put the 454 in. Thanks for your help so far.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 am

Hey. I am doing the same thing right now. I had bought new brackets but you said you have those. The motor mounts are my question. I was at g3chevy's place today and we were looking at motor mounts in a in a big block El Camino he has. He and I both purchased a set new from the auto parts store. The even look different than the stock ones. I took mine apart and made some measurements and they are different that the small block ones. They sit up higher. Oddly enough, I got some BBC motor mounts for the engine and when I put them up to my new BBC motor mounts the holes didn't line up. I put them up to the SBC motor mounts and they did. I have been back and forth with Protherm on a poly insert for the BBC mount. They don't show one. They send me measurements on the next part number up from the one listed for the SBC. I will compare them tomorrow. Wow, that got long. Anyway, that is what I am trying to figure out.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Hs1973 wrote:
I so bought his fresh rebuild 454

What came with 454?

Intake manifold, harmonic balancer, flex plate, etc...
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 am

I am going to put a ZZ502 in a 73 Monte Carlo and are wondering what exaust will fit. I have found headders from Hooker that are specific for the monte, but cant seem to find any manufacturer that makes 3" stainless for them!!??
Will you guys be building your self?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am

Hi guys. I havent been here for a while. I have been Busy with life. I am not any closer to put the 454 in my chevelle yet. The season is just starting and im planning on driving it trough out summer as is. I will collect parts as i go along, some have most of what i need to do th conversion. Im fortunate that the motor Came with every bracket and all acessories exept carb and alternator starter. Also the the motor and trans is from the same car and is in exelent condition wich saves me alot of time and cash. Im pretty sure that there will be some problems anyway, like exhaust but i have build my own before so as long as the headders fit its not that bad. Just wery time consuming. But im fortunate to have you guys to turn to when whoa nelly goes Wrong, wich helps alot i have learned over thyears that no one builds a hotrod without friends.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

So what you're saying isn't you have more time to change the cam and heads and raise the compression on your way to 600 hp!!!!!
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down