G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light

2 posters

Go down

Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light Empty Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light

Post by Damon23 Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I noticed today that my dome light was not working. I figured it was the bulb. I pushed on installing the new mirror (comp/temp/dimming mirror out of a Tahoe) and when I turned everything on with the lights I noticed the dash nor the aftermarket gauge lights were not working. I pulled the wire from the fuse box that goes to LPS and put them to accy and they worked but the dash lights did not. The small fuse is good. I have noticed in the past if you turned the knob on the headlight switch too far they'd go out. I had to find that happy medium for them to stay on. I think the switch has gone bad but want to know what I'm checking when I get under there with the meter. Thanks.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light Empty Re: Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light

Post by thatfnthing Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am

I posted the 73 diagram in a stickie:

https://www.g3gm.com/t296-wiring-schematics-needed

They're all pretty close 73-77, especially for stuff like the dome lamp and instrument panel.  You'll want to start with Fig. 66 (dome lamp), but the bulk of what you're after is in Figs. 65 & 64.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light Empty Re: Need wire diagram for headlight, dash lights and dome light

Post by Damon23 Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks. I'm having a hard time seeing them though. I've enlarged them and saved them. I guess my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Turned out to be that 5 amp fuse. I pulled that thing out and put a meter on it and continuity was good. Metered one side while it was in the fuse box and had 12v, then metered the other side and nothing. Pulled it back out and still read continuity. Crazy. Time for a new fuse and a bulb for the hvac control backlight.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:55 am

Yeah, those diagrams had to be shrunk down to fit here, and they were pretty crowded to begin with. If you want larger copies, PM me your email address and I'll send them.

A fuse is a super simple device -- it's just a wire sized for the desired load. If you got continuity, that should be a sufficient indicator that it's good. Maybe you want to take a closer look at the socket ends -- I know they can corrode pretty bad and you may just wind up with the same problem again.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down