G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

adding a gas line

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

adding a gas line Empty adding a gas line

Post by pila Wed May 25, 2016 12:07 am

My Elco has a Caddy engine in it, and the fuel pump is on the left side,& not like a SBC. I just ran a new line on the left side, to do away with the cross-over line I had in there, to get fuel to the pump.
No really good place to run a line across the front, to use the old line, and having a fuel line that can get tore up in a front end collision didn't seem very safe.

Anyway, with fuel flow problems, I found that the vent line from the tank was plugged solid. I even cut the old line in sections to look at it, and found each piece was plugged with debris & rust. The lines looked like new on the outside !! So, I ran a new 5/16"vent line also.
The engine ran like it was starving for fuel, and crapping out around 3000 RPM, so I hope this cures some of that problem.
So, the fun continues Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

adding a gas line Empty Re: adding a gas line

Post by bigredlaguna Wed May 25, 2016 1:06 am

How did you have your old crossover line placed? I believe the factory ran it behind the crossmember in such a way that it was protected from oncoming debris and such. Not that it matters now for you, lol. You must have been putting the tank into vacuum with the higher fuel demand. The nerd in me is kinda curious to know how much vacuum there was.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed May 25, 2016 8:47 pm

You are correct about vacuum on the tank ! The filler sucked air big time when I removed the cap, which was the tip-off on a bad vent line !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu May 26, 2016 9:13 pm

pontiacs ran the fuel lines along the front of the oil pan/timing cover area. Pump on the left, steel lines on the right side frame rail. Maybe someone can post a pic of a G3 pontiac fuel line setup? The latest car craft shows a picture of the left side of the motor on page 28. maybe you can run a similar setup on the Caddy..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu May 26, 2016 9:46 pm

I finished it Wednesday.
I ran it along the left side, with the other lines. Haven't run it yet. Been sick for a couple days with a cold..
Maybe tomorrow I'll see how it runs....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:21 pm

Bit of an update...engine runs OK, FP is 5 lbs with the stock pump.  Maybe I'll locate a quiet pump later.  The spec for PSI limit on the Q-jet on this engine is 6.5 PSI.  Would be nice to get it up t 6 though...
I believe I'll just drive it for a bit & let things settle down.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:46 pm

According to the Rochester guru, Cliff Ruggles, the Q-jet is good with even as low as 3 psi. The most important thing is the volume your pump can deliver.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Yeah, it's probably a good thing that it will run OK at 5, if it would still run at 3. I have Cliff's book, which was money well-spent ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down