G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Differential core swap

+7
Joe73
Keith Seymore
alowerlevel
74 beast
brownbomber77
99B4C
dynchel
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Differential core swap - Page 2 Empty Re: Differential core swap

Post by 74 beast Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:51 am

Check out spartan lockers eaay to put in with hand tools
74 beast
74 beast
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:59 am

Yeah a full locker is definitely not what I am going for. This is going to be a street car. I'd rather have a govlock for a semi posi situation.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 beast Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:05 am

A spartan locker is like a lock rite. Locker. Posi in a straight line and unlocked in turns its not a spool like you think
74 beast
74 beast
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 am

I agree. If your not changing your gear ratio, a Spartan would be the way to go for the street. Easy bolt in and no gear setup issues.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Joe73 wrote:I agree.  If your not changing your gear ratio, a Spartan would be the way to go for the street.   Easy bolt in and no gear setup issues.

X2, I got one (still havent had the time to install it yet) just for those reasons.  Im not changing gear ratios, its a simple bolt in I can do laying on my back in about an hour, and theres no hassle of setting up clearances/gear patterns/etc.   Plus you can get them for $250 shipped http://www.quickperformance.com/SL-GM85-28--Spartan-locker-for-GM-85-with-28-spline-axles-includes-heavy-duty-cross-pin-shaft_p_19943.html
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:03 am

I have looked at this also, Is there a drawing with exploded view showing how it all goes together?
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 am

I don't know about a drawing but there are a couple of videos on youtube about the way they work and assembling and installing them. The drawback, of course, is that they click constantly while going around curves because of the ratcheting mechanism and it seems to be a pretty loud sound. They also, from what I've seen, can lock between teeth and then jump into place causing a loud clank that seems pretty unnerving to me.
Idunno if thats what I want either.

Here's a video of the locker installed and working .

And one of a guy driving around with one installed.
Check out the clank when it pops into place. (1:37)
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:36 pm

I hope to find time to install mine this winter, Ill let you know how it sounds.  Honestly none of those noises bother me, as long as it works like its supposed to its better than what Ive got now.  And it'll be alot nicer to drive than the welded rear in my old GTA that I drove daily.....
GoFast
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:42 pm

I would go for it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 am

I am definitely noticing that the 30 spline differentials are way more available and way cheaper.

So what are the tolerances on our axle shafts? I haven't found axles exactly 30 5/16" long that are 30 spline but I have found 30 3/8" ones. Since they clip in, how much fudge room do you have to play with?

I toyed with the idea of a welded axle back in my Nissan 240sx days, back when I thought I was a drifter haha. I never bit the bullet. I also see alot of "spools" for sale and wonder, if you were going to go with that, why not just weld the spider gears together?
I think the clicking would be tolerable but that clank shook his whole truck. Let us know what you think when you get it in.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 am

Where are you seeing 30 spline diffs so much cheaper than 28s?  If your talking about used ones out of trucks or whatever Id skip them, as you wont know if its good till you waste the time and money installing it/having it installed.

Moser has 30 spline axels for our cars at a good price http://www.jegs.com/i/Moser-Engineering/718/A103012/10002/-1

And Ive noticed the large clank/bang in videos of other more expensive lockers too, Ive also seen vids where they make no noise at all.  
Either way between the fuel pump and exhaust dumped before the rear axle on my car Im not even sure Ill notice the noises, Laughing
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 am

I am looking on eBay. I'm addicted to eBay so its the first place i look. I usually prefer used stuff for the savings too.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:28 am

I dont think a used unit is the way to go in a rear axle. Too many wear items that you wont knkw are.bad until they are installed. And installation isnt cheap when your dealing with installing and setting up a ring and pinion.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 am

SonOfTheGrim wrote:
I toyed with the idea of a welded axle back in my Nissan 240sx days, back when I thought I was a drifter haha. I never bit the bullet. I also see alot of "spools" for sale and wonder, if you were going to go with that, why not just weld the spider gears together?

For one thing - It's not a good idea from a durability standpoint.

For another - welded spider gears are expressly forbidden in NHRA competition (so if a person were to go drag racing it would not be allowed).

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Differential core swap - Page 2 DSCF1974_zpsigq7jww0Differential core swap - Page 2 DSCF1973_zpsurhjegbl

Here is a pic of my original 73 malibu rear which I believe to be of the bolt in axle type. I was trying to explain in a previous post.

Pic 1 shows a buldge that houses the bearing. Notice the backing plate bolts also. No weld marks that I can see.

Pic 2 shows a flange (tilted sideways, arrow) that I would assume holds the axle in. I tried to pull the axle out with no luck. I might need a puller or maybe it is in fact a "C" clip rear. If it is I've never seen another one like this.

The rear I have in the car now looks like the one in Joe73's pics.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:31 am

That looks like a bop rear axles should come right out but that rear looks like its been sitting a long time outside. Pull that cover and post a pic.
Is the other axle also stuck?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 am

Keith Seymore wrote:
SonOfTheGrim wrote:

For one thing - It's not a good idea from a durability standpoint.

For another - welded spider gears are expressly forbidden in NHRA competition (so if a person were to go drag racing it would not be allowed).

K
Back in high school I watched a guy weld the spider gears in auto shop class on a 69 SS Camaro, 2 weeks later on his way to school the rear end locked up at 90 mph, he slid sideways/backwards into a telephone pole. All that was left of the car was the front clip. It took the jaws of life to get him out. Miraculously he came out of it beat to hell but lived. I wince anytime I hear about welded spider gears.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Famstyle Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:34 pm

You can also use 74-81 Camaro 8.5 posi units, if needed a spacer if isn't a 4 ratio carrier!
Famstyle
Famstyle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Joe73 wrote:That looks like a bop rear axles should come right out but that rear looks like its been sitting a long time outside.  Pull that cover and post a pic.  
Is the other axle also stuck?
Differential core swap - Page 2 DSCF1976_zpsymixgihq

The rear is in the back of my garage & hard to get to at the moment. I'll drag it out when it warms up. It was in a horse barn for a decade or so. From what is described in the pic it is a bolt in axle. Anyhow someone may find this pic of some use. This is for all '73 chevys, not just chevelles. I would assume the 8 7/8 rear is referring to the full size line. I tried to get the code but of course the stamping is not good. Hard to make out. One of these days I'll tear into it and see if the "C" clip type core is in fact interchangeable with a bolt in
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfTheGrim Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 am

Well after all this info and searching for affordable posi solutions, I came across a somewhat local guy who parts out mid 90s impala SSs. Gave him a call and he has complete rear ends with brakes and all for $350. It seems that is the economical way to go since I really want disk brakes too.
Looks like I'll be giving him a call when my car gets a little farther along. Or if I find a cheaper rear end in a junk yard.
SonOfTheGrim
SonOfTheGrim
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2