G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X vs. H

5 posters

Go down

X vs. H Empty X vs. H

Post by marks454ss Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Is there any kind of consensus as to which breaths better? I'm running a 496 with Hooker Super Comps Flowmaster 40's and 2-1/2 stainless all the way.
marks454ss
marks454ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

X vs. H Empty Re: X vs. H

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Exhaust gasses take the flow of least resistance. The  H pipe helps with balancing exhaust pulses but not in scavenging the gasses, they flow on the direction of least resistance so they won't take a 90 degree bend.
An X pipe system increases scavenging and also reduces decibel levels, sound is less raspy. A stepped X pipe system delivers the closest to an open hedder system. Basically with dyno testing the x pipe system gains more hp over the H system, can actually loose HP with the H. You'll have a quieter system with the X.
So to answer your question specifically about which system breathes better.. Ooen hedders, X pipe, H pipe in that order.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:18 am

If the motor makes any decent amount of power, I would consider a 3" exhaust before being concerned with H or X. You can do a 3" to the mufflers and then go down to 2 1/2 beyond that if you want.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 am

I looked into them for some time. If your looking every ounce out of a combo, then it might be worth it. I deceided that Id pass since it wasnt worth the extra hassle if I have to pull the trans or something.
I just want to put some disconnects after the mufflers to ease removing the welded exhaust.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:28 pm

3" exhaust with a flow through muffler like the Dynomax Ultra Flo.

My 76 Malibu has NA 502BBC 650hp/625tq.  
I have 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, 3" exhaust with a 3" H-pipe, and 22" Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum