G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where is your tv cable ?

4 posters

Go down

where is your tv cable ? Empty where is your tv cable ?

Post by brian74montecarlo Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 pm

was recently suprised by my car when i did intake swap and torque converter upgrade that the throttle valve cable on my car ( 74 monte carlo ) was connected to my gas pedal instead of running up to connect with the carburator linkage like most every other old car ive had or seen.

is this a normal thing ? i ask because the mechanics shop had a hard time trying to ajust the slack out of my cable and i feel like its still not quite right - and want to swap out to a normal style cable routed to the carburator linkage.

is this a good idea ? i fear my factory tv cable is on its last leg and not helping me ajust performence driving habits in my turbo 350.

where is your tv cable run to ? carb or gas pedal ?
has anyone already done this conversion ?

brian74montecarlo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

where is your tv cable ? Empty Re: where is your tv cable ?

Post by Wallyuph Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally mine was ran to gas pedal on my 73 with the 350/350 set up. I used a small piece of hose and a a hose clamp on the cable to take out the slack. I just slit it slipped it over the cable and clamped it with Zip ties or a hose clamp. I just made sure it still went to wide open throttle. Really helped a lot to get slack out for down shift.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 pm

My '74 Malibu had that cable originally, but when I changed the engine & trans, I went with the later type, with the bracket near the carb etc. Much easier to deal with & adjust etc....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:36 am

Just FYI its not a TV cable its a kick-down cable on a th350.  Unlike the TV cable on the later trans (700r4, 2004r etc) where the TV cable controls the line pressures, shift points, firmness etc, all the cable does on the th350 is make the trans downshift on its own at speed when you press the gas (like to pass someone on the road).  And while you will kill a later trans pretty quick with a improperly adjusted TV cable, you can completely remove the kick-down cable from a th350 will no ill effects (you will have to downshift it at speed manually though)
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down