G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kickdown cable

+7
Bruisr
Wallyuph
McCauley5983
74Malibu383
Tom77
orange Juiced
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
11 posters

Go down

kickdown cable Empty kickdown cable

Post by McCauley5983 Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 pm

ok still scratchin my head as to why nobody can make a cable kit to hook to gas pedal and even more concerning is why nobody thinks its factory but i bought the lokar cable and made it work came out looking really good
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

kickdown cable Empty Re: kickdown cable

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

Way to improvise. I have one, but I think it's still connected to that TH350 I have.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't understand why it would be hooked to the gas pedal instead of the carb. Mine was also connected to the gas pedal and I had to cut it (there was no other way of unhooking it.) Still haven't found how it disconnect it from the transmission itself yet.
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Why would you cut it? It just slides into the pedal with a clip. The transmission end can be disconnected without droping the pan, but it's easier to do it with the pan off. Once you get the pan off, you'll see where it connects.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I need to replace mine, this was one of the items that was damage when I had the engine swapped and the shop snaked it to close to the exhaust. I found this one on Ebay, lets see how easy it is to install when i order it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350-TH350-STAINLESS-BRAIDED-KICK-DOWN-CABLE-KICKDOWN-DETENT-SBC-BBC-TRANNY-TRANS-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item20bcedc139&item=140608651577&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:30 pm

If your good at fishin no need to take off pan. Learned the hard way. Forgot to put cable on till the motor and trans in the car! Embarassed
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Like I said, it can be done, but it's not much fun. Head Bang
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:31 pm

ATP & Doorman make these not bad pricing either. Some have pics & some don't but search your year.

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto+car-usa+parts/chevrolet+malibu+auto-trans-detent-cable.html

Found for 77 w/ THM 350 on Rockauto.com also.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:46 pm

I bought one for my 77 Monte at the Chevy dealer. A month ago.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 pm

It's a lot easier to deal with when you see how it connects into the transmission, on the bent wire link. The second time to do it is always easier Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Okay...can someone guide me through the process of replacing my detent (kickdown) cable on a TH350? When I remove the cable retaining bolt at the tranny, do I pull up on it to expose the wire it's attached to? Does the wire fall back down into the tranny if I don't grasp hold of it once I disconnect the cable? Sounds like the procedure can be a p.i.t.a without dropping the pan. Also, is there any adjustment to the cable? This is for my '75 Laguna in which the other end of the cable is attached to the gas pedal. Didn't see where it could be adjusted down there.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 am

i think you can actually grab aho;d of the metal wire thats inside the transmission with a pair of needle nose if it slips off. i dont think its adjustable if its connected to the gas pedal. i bought an aftermarket lokar cable and ran it to the pedal and that made it adjustable and worked great until i switche to 4 speed
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 am

When I removed the cable, use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the "wire" then manipulate thecable end off the wire. If you let go of the wire its ok you will be able to grab it again as it does not fall into pan out or out of reach. I never hokked the cable back up, omitted it completely. If I need to I just shift into what ever gear I may need. After all, whats the purpose of having a floor shifter for?
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 am

Hey Billy-ray where abouts in phx. are you? I live in Tonopah, about 40 miles west of phx.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

That's the kind of reassurance I was looking for! Thanks for the info. And, good point about the purpose of a floor shifter...I thought of that, too! If you didn't hook the cable back up, how did you plug the hole at the tranny with the wire sticking up?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 am

Mcarlo 77. Here is a photo of what you are hooking the cable end into the tranny.[img]kickdown cable T-350_10[/img]

Here is a photo of what you are trying to do. It not that bad to hook it and as you can see from photo above it will not fall into pan. Just takes some finesse to get it hooked back in.
[img]kickdown cable Dent_c10[/img]

For adjustment they really don't make it adjustable. If you want it to down shift sooner than wide open throttle when I was in High school we took a short piece of vacuum hose slit it and pulled the cable on Gas pedal as our car's hook cable to the pedal bracket inside car. Slip this little chunk over the cable and fasten with zip cable ties. Its not a big piece and it will take some test fitting. If you make it to big of "shim" you wont get full throttle. This would be if you wanted to keep it all stock.

For me personally I'm more into function than original. I went with a cheap E bay cable like this right to the carb and I can adjust it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAIDED-STAINLESS-KICK-DOWN-CABLE-TURBO-TH-350-TRANS-/290630939874?hash=item43aaf434e2&item=290630939874&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:43 am

The adjustment on the factory cable is pretty easy . Read post #5 on this thread---
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th350-kickdown-cable-20150.html

That is how I do mine,they get old and stetched and should be replaced after alot of miles.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 am

I had an old kickdown cable, I cut off the cable and just left enough for the cable end to bolt back into the tranny. I didn't hook up the kickdown linkage to anything just left it alone.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 pm

My '74 Malibu had the K D cable that went to the gas pedal, when I bought it in 1990. There was a problem with it at the time. The local Chevy dealer found the only one in the dealer system back then. But when I swapped in the 400, I used the cable that connects to the carb & not the original type.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 am

I have a set up like this one Steve. There is also a bracket avail aftermarket from Spectre that has provisions for both throttle & trans linkage (which might be avail @ your local Autozone or Advanced Auto) if you decide to change your gas pedal set up.

kickdown cable P1010112

Spectre Univarsal Bracket
kickdown cable Spectr11
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Doesn't look like I'm going to find a new gas pedal style cable, so most viable option might be converting to the carb bracket. I'm sure I can find a bracket off a salvage car. Think I'm first going to try and pull the gas pedal style cable off that '75 Laguna out in one yard and see if that works before I do the conversion. However, that may be delayed as we just got thumped with over 12" of snow yesterday. Appreciate all the info from you guys.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm

See that pic Paul posted? See that big spring,just ahead of that, that little notch if you gently pry up or push down on that (depends on it its up or down) that releases the adjustment on the cable.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 pm

I've read where the carb mounted cables can be adjusted. Obviously, an improved design over the gas pedal cables as those don't appear to be adjustable. They are what they are...and, if they stretch, it seems you either replace them, remove them altogether or, improvise with a longer sleeve (like Wallup mentioned) at the pedal.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Pulled a used kickdown cable off a '75 Monte today and now have a much better understanding of how the wire hooks onto the tranny linkage and how the cable can be disconnected from the wire without dropping the tranny pan (thanks for the photo and illustration, Wally!). FYI if anyone is interested...the cable must be detached at the gas pedal in order to slide the sheath back enough on the tranny end to expose and disconnect the wire. Of course, the retaining bolt must also be removed prior to this.

This was too cool of a parts pick...the Monte was setting on it's left side so everthing was in full view and accessible by just standing there with tools in hand! Don't often get this kind of perspective of the underside. Like looking at a big painting instead of sections at a time on my back!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Hey- someone here has one of those pedal cables for sale-

https://www.g3gm.com/t6267-here-is-a-list-of-small-items-i-don-t-need
77mali
77mali