G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust

5 posters

Go down

Exhaust Empty Exhaust

Post by Redsway76 Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 pm

ok i have a problem i think my puipes are too big im running 2.5 inch exhaust with headers off of my 305 but when i feel the exhaust out of the tailpipe the gases are cool to luke warm does this mena my exhaust size is too large cause i was thinking of dropping to 2 1/4 inch pipe but wante dothe ropinions first
Redsway76
Redsway76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Empty Re: Exhaust

Post by Limey SE Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 am

2 1/4 will give you better performance

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:47 am

I agree with Limey. 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust is way to big for a stock 305.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:45 am

if it's in good shape, keep it. you aren't hurting anything with the 2.5" pipe, and if you do ever step up to a healthy 350, then you will want the bigger pipes, anyways.
and don't worry about the exhaust being cool as it comes out the tailpipe- it has, after all, traveled thru about 15 feet of pipe and gone thru a muffler by the time it gets to the back of the car.
but if you really want to get smaller pipes and are within easy driving distance, i'll trade ya for the 2.25" pipes on my Monte- but i get to keep my Flowmaster mufflers... i only got the small pipes because i didn't want to wait the 1/2 hour for them to bend me up a 2.5" kit and just took the one they had in stock. my kit is essentially a Summit/Jeg's kit that i bought directly from the place that makes their kits for them.

Last edited by novaderrik on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:56 pm

I agree to keep them. What you can do is choke the exhaust down with a short length of 2 inch pipe at the very back of your pipes, maybe 2 foot long. Then if you upgrade to a bigger motor later you will just have a small section to replace. You talk about temperature, but what you should be checking is how much force pushes aginst your palm when you place it about 2 or 3 inches from the end of the pipe. Compare the force you get with other cars. A sign of too big of a pipe is when you feel no force coming out. I can do my car like that and it almost blows my hand away. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Redsway76 Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:41 pm

ok thanx for all the input that willl save me a bit of money ne way being the car runs fine i think i will kepe it for now and as far as trading ya im not that close plus mine is pieced together sections from autozone just 4 straight sections and mufflers dumped before the axle i dont have pipes behind the axle thanx for the help though eveyrone
Redsway76
Redsway76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down