G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:47 pm

dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose?

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:49 pm

However if you are going to drill & weld i would leave the bumper on to try to get the bumper as close as possible.  You can always fine tune with shims.

Last edited by dynchel on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added details)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks...that didn't show up on my search.

I'll probably drill, unless by some miracle i can find rear bumper shocks cheap.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 pm

I will ask my derby Friend Captain he some parts cars out there
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Capt, are you just tucking your rear bumper? Got a little confused with the talk of the 73 nose. It would be pretty difficult to put a 73 rear bumper on a 74-77 car. 73 doesnt use shocks in the rear. The 73 rear bumper has brackets that bolt to the SIDE of the frame. I have pics if you need them.

Just fyi.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Joe73 wrote:Capt, are you just tucking your rear bumper?  Got a little confused with the talk of the 73 nose.  It would be pretty difficult to put a 73 rear bumper on a 74-77 car.  73 doesnt use shocks in the rear.  The 73 rear bumper has brackets that bolt to the SIDE of the frame.  I have pics if you need them.  

Just fyi.  

No he is just wanting to tuck the stock ones he has already and I am trying to locate some shocks so he wont trash his stock ones
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Ok, cool.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:24 pm

I have a 73 nose and 74 grille i got with a pile of other parts. I was going to put it on if it was pretty much just a bolt on deal. I found an El Camino thread where a guy was doing it on a 77. His was a LOT of work. Anthony was trying to explain it to my dumba$$ and it looked like a little more work than I want to do right now. So...dynch was explaining the front bumper tuck instead. Now Anthony is looking for rear bumper shocks I can put up front so i don't have to drill the 77 front shock/piston thingys on mine.

As you can see, these guys go out of their way to help a bumbling, indecisive fool such as me! Embarassed
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:43 pm

I think you'll get it. Just have to put some thought into it.

Dont quote me, and I dont know if it was the front or rear bumper, but I remember reading somewhere that someone played around with their mounting brackets or something and was able to tuck their bumper without drilling the shocks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 am

Joe73 wrote:I think you'll get it.  Just have to put some thought into it.  

Dont quote me, and I dont know if it was the front or rear bumper, but I remember reading somewhere that someone played around with their mounting brackets or something and was able to tuck their bumper without drilling the shocks.

That would be me, here's the thread.

https://www.g3gm.com/t6260-oe-looking-tucked-bumpers?highlight=OE+looking+tucked+bumpers
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:13 pm

On my front bumper I just put shocks in a press to collapsed them and welded them in a short tack in 4 spots. trimmed filler pieces and walla done.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:15 pm

How far did you collapse them? I measured and looks like about three inches back is as far as the grille will allow.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:20 pm

For my 73 collapsed them all the way. Heck its sticks out far enough I wanted all I could take out with a easy cure.

here is the only photos I have of front end to help you see. Car is in storage for winter
Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 <a href=Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 Img_5511" />

Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 <a href=Has anybody ACTUALLY swapped a 73 Laguna nose? - Page 2 Img_5510" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2