G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread.

+13
thatfnthing
77mali
knightfan26917
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
michiganlarry
Hawk03
dynchel
ant7377
chevellelaguna
Joe73
bigredlaguna
pila
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread.

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

You gulped too much- LMAO
15. Let Dry (Gurgle- burp)
16. Install, Admire & crack open #2 (or 3).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread.

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Lol, you sound like me. drinking while waiting for paint to dry
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Beer

Drinking Party
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 pm

77mali wrote:You gulped too much- LMAO
15. Let Dry (Gurgle- burp)
16. Install, Admire & crack open #2 (or 3).

I did for get the burps and gurgles.

They should be at #s 4,6,7,9 and 14. Pretty sure there are pee breaks too. Embarassed Razz
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Looks good Captain !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 am

keep up the awesome work..
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:20 am

Thank you fellas!

Both seats in as of yesterday. Tilt/floor shift column and console/shifter next. Was doing searches last night for info. Looks like brackets for shifter may be a bit of a challenge.
I've got a Chevelle/Monte column but I'm not sure what year it's from. From what I've read, I may run into trouble because there is a difference between 74-76 and the 77 columns.

We'll see.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am

Everything looks great!

Are you going to keep the wood grain on the shifter plate? I am going to redo my console when it gets a little warmer and I am unsure what to do with the wood grain shifter plate. I'm not going to have any wood grain so it doesn't make sense to keep it. I might paint it black or paint it the color of the console which will be red.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

Yeah, It still looks good and matches the wood grain around the gauges so I'll hang on to it.

For now the overall plan is to keep her in stock configuration. That's why I'm using factory/ period correct stuff instead of upgrading to aftermarket parts. It's such a nice example of the era, I can't bring myself to change the look of anything.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:54 am

Hawk03 wrote:Everything looks great!

Are you going to keep the wood grain on the shifter plate? I am going to redo my console when it gets a little warmer and I am unsure what to do with the wood grain shifter plate. I'm not going to have any wood grain so it doesn't make sense to keep it. I might paint it black or paint it the color of the console which will be red.

Just a idea you can get a piece of aluminum and take the fine grinding disc to it after you have it cut to shape. Prep it and spray some rattle can clear on it and you have a look like this center section of sub box I did.
Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 <a href=Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Img_2110" />

You can also spray some thin coats of color on it if you like then it looks like this.
Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 <a href=Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Img_4810" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am

Hawk03 wrote:Everything looks great!

Hawk I would swap you my Black one for your woodgrain top plate ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Looks really nice!

If you have an extra console glove box lid in good condition I could sure use one.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I looked in the pile...nada.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:46 am

becareful limey.i think there is a difference between the 2....
something to do with the legs on the bottom where the screws go in and hold it down....
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

1973montec wrote:becareful limey.i think there is a difference between the 2....
something to do with the legs on the bottom where the screws go in and hold it down....

Just the part where the shifter goes thru is all I was referring to, as Long as his from 76-77 they should be ok, the black piece in this console is the part Im referring to

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 00000018
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm

really? you would think this was my first rodeo,i knew what part you were referring to..
we share a common helper in this stuff.....lol

but a 73-75 plate will not fit a console the right way and visa versa.....
woodgrain compared to non-woodgrain.........
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 pm

the vinyl dye looks amazing. where did you get it?
wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I think I got that one from Summit...it's too light, but as close as I could find.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:I think I got that one from Summit...it's too light, but as close as I could find.

okay, that makes sense. I checked local hardware and auto places and no one seems to have the vinyl dye. they have duplicolor fabric and vinyl but I donno if I trust it.

but you console looks so good now that I want to give it a shot.

what did you use as an adhesion promoter and what sand paper for scuffing 220?
wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Seats in, console in place (not permanent yet, still working on kitchen) and got the new floor mats a few days ago.

You can see the slight diff in color between the console and seats/door panels here.

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 <a href=Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Seats10" />

This REALLY shows the sun fade on the carpet. See how well the mats match near the trans tunnel, but the huge diff between the mats and the rocker side?

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 <a href=Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Mats10" />

The mats came from Auto Custom Carpets (ACC). They were the ONLY comapny I could find that had the right color and the "Malibu Classic" embroidery.
I looked into replacing the carpet altogether, but read way too many complaints about fit.
I replaced the carpet in the Laguna and it sucked. It was lumpy and puffy around the trans tunnel, and I didn't read any reviews from any car guy that didn't say pretty much the same thing about most aftermarket carpet.

Mine isn't worn at all, and the mats go a long way toward covering most of the sun fade.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 pm

wunderlich_33 wrote:
Roadcaptain S3 wrote:I think I got that one from Summit...it's too light, but as close as I could find.

okay, that makes sense. I checked local hardware and auto places and no one seems to have the vinyl dye. they have duplicolor fabric and vinyl but I donno if I trust it.

Those dyes are usually in stock at most auto parts stores, but they NEVER have the color you need. I normally go straight online to Summit, Jegs,NPD etc. Amazon too.

I use the SEM clear adhesion promoter. You spray it on and let it get a little tacky, then spray the color.

I use a green 3M scuff pad, sometimes I'll use the red pad on hard plastics. I don't scuff too hard, just enough to give the promoter something to bite on.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wunderlich_33 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
wunderlich_33 wrote:

Those dyes are usually in stock at most auto parts stores, but they NEVER have the color you need. I normally go straight online to Summit, Jegs,NPD etc. Amazon too.

I use the SEM clear adhesion promoter. You spray it on and let it get a little tacky, then spray the color.

I use a green 3M scuff pad, sometimes I'll use the red on hard plastics. I don't scuff too hard, just enough to give the promoter something to bite on.

thanks a lot, I definitely want to give this a go.
wunderlich_33
wunderlich_33
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm

You should. It's pretty easy and the results are usually really good. Be careful applying though, it's thin and can run easily if you spray it too close. Several thin, light coats
works best, and if your item has a heavy grain you mess it up.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Seat belts....grrrrr.

I got a good set of factory belts from ebay, but like I said in previous post...no luck with dying.

I got great info for re-webbing from Steve and might try it but...

The swivel belts for G3s are weird compared to most other cars because of the way they mount. I don't think there are any other cars that have two separate retractors, upper and lower. Some of the eighties Camaros did, but I don't know if the upper retractor would fit properly on the roof of the G3. And you're still getting used twenty five year old belts that likely don't work anyway.

You run into problems at the lower retractor because the mounting point at the rear of the seat can interfere with the seat sliding back, since it's in the floor vs. the rocker.

I found these..."Roadster" belts from Wesco

http://www.wescoperformance.com/welr-n-retractable-install.html#top

I think these might work if I mount the retractor to the floor and the end piece to the roof.

Thoughts?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Having a 73 model means I had that PITA 2-piece arrangement with a clip on shoulder belt, so I never had dual retractors. I converted to a standard floor retractor unit and used the shoulder B-pillar mount for the strap guide, works like a typical modern arrangement.

As for the roadster belts, I used those in the back seat -- mounted them to a hard point on the back deck so the rear passengers actually have a shoulder and lap belt arrangement. Works fine.

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Seatbe10

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Seatbe11

Roadcaptain's 77 Build Thread. - Page 2 Seatbe12

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next