G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The interchangability thread

+10
Joe73
Jedediah
1973 454 MONTE
The Dude
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
Limey SE
Biomedtech
pila
alleyball4
novaderrik
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The interchangability thread Empty The interchangability thread

Post by The Dude Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:36 am

I know that some of this has been discussed in a few separate threads, but maybe having one thread with all of the info on it will help people doing the junkyard crawl find everything in one spot. (hint hint) Razz

I'm actually thinking about getting an early to mid 90s cop car & jacking the sway bars, spindles, calipers & rotors, & rear differential if it all swaps over (9C1 Chevelle anyone?), but I have a feeling you guys are talking about box Caprices. I might be cutting a deal with a buddy that owns a salvage yard, so anyone with advice let me know. Also wondering if there are any RPO codes to check for as far as gearing options go. He has quite a few G-bodies out there also, if any of those have 8.5 rears with desirable gearing or limited slip (RPO G80). I know he has a few Monte SS's.

So what I'm wanting to know from you guys that have actually done swapping is this.

Which years & models can you use suspension parts from & what modifications, if any, are needed for that particular part?

How close in dimensions are the rear axles?

Most importantly, what stuff would be a waste of time swapping over &/or what other parts should people be scrounging for while in the junkyard?

OK enough of my ranting for now, let's get the definitive suspension swap thread going.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

The interchangability thread Empty Re: The interchangability thread

Post by novaderrik Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:25 am

the only G bodies that came with an 8.5 rear axle were the 84-87 Turbocharged Buicks (GN , T Type) and 84-87 Olds 442/Hurst Olds.
the best place to look for decent gears and posi units for an 8.5 rear are in 80's 1/2 ton trucks and 70's Trans Ams and Z/28's, along with Caprice wagons and cop cars from 77-93. the 90 and newer Caprices have 30 spline axles in them, along with a matching differential.
the 77-96 B body (Caprice, etc) was essentially the 73-77 A body (Chevelle, Monte Carlo, etc) chassis with a few changes and refinements over the years.
most stuff interchanges, but some stuff like transmission crossmembers and front sway bars aren't a direct swap. i have a 92 Caprice 9C1 front sway bar in my 74 Monte, and it doesn't fit quite right. the arms on the Caprice bar are longer than the Monte bar was, so the end links are tipped back a bit. but it's been on for 2 years with no problems.
i also have the rear springs out of the 92 9C1 in my Monte- perfect fit, but it did jack it up some (which is what i wanted to clear the slots).
control arms and spindles swap over, but later B bodies used a bigger lower balljoint. the 94-96 spindles are stronger and lighter than the 73-93 units.
80's Caprice station wagon axle shafts are an easy way to get a 5X5 bolt pattern on the rear of a 73-77 A or G body.
of course the steering box is a direct swap, with different lines or line fitting adapters.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Got some more news.......

The Chevy Astro/GMC Safari also used the same front suspension as the B-body, but they came with the larger ball joints! Note that the rear is different, but here is one more option when you go junkyard huntin'.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:06 pm

70-81 F-Body front 1-1/4" sway bars are a direct bolt in.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm still researching parts, gonna get a Hollander Exchange manual to help out.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm

orange Juiced wrote:I came across some chromed parts online but they're from a Monte. I don't have pics to compare yet, but it is the center support behind the grill and the whole hood latch/catch assembly.

coreys73chevelle wrote:the hood latch assembly is most likey different because of the style of the hoods but thats just a guess..

74MonteCarlo wrote:I believe it's the same. Don't quote me on that. Nearly positive the hood latch assembly is the same. Not 100% on the support behind the grille.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm

I think the core support brace will be the same the actual header panels of the malibu and monte are not very different monte comes more to a point but like always I could be wrong and probally am LOL

The interchangability thread Chevel15

The interchangability thread Monte_19

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am

this is awesome information....i gotta spend some time going back over it....

I could have saved hundreds going to my 3.42 posi from my 3.08 non posi.

I doubt there are, but do any of those cars have a 3.73 posi? (cop cars, etc)
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:53 am

I might be wrong on this, but I believe the options were 2.93, 3.08, 3.23, & 3.42 gears if you find an 8.5 rear.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 am

I have an extra 8.5, '75, with 2.73 gears (El Camino) which likely fits many A bodies of the '73-'77 era.
I'm using a 9" Ford in place of that one.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

i need a driver side spindle for my el camino, is the b body direct swap on? or does it require some mods?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:48 am

Rago thanks for starting this thread up.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 am

At the local airport we had an ex-cop car for a courtesy car, like a '91 or '92 Caprice, with an LT1 engine. The front brakes on that car, which was some police option, were big bucks to replace the parts, as I remember.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:25 am

No problem Jed. I wanted everyone to know what to look for when scouring the junkyards & knew there were members on here that could help out in finishing this thread.

TWBouska AKA Wooderson wrote:i need a driver side spindle for my el camino, is the b body direct swap on? or does it require some mods?

TW, I quoted your answer from the first reply on this thread. Derrik deserves some SC for sharing his knowledge on the subject:

novaderrik wrote:
control arms and spindles swap over, but later B bodies used a bigger lower balljoint. the 94-96 spindles are stronger and lighter than the 73-93 units.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm

I see, basically the upper caliper bolt on my drivers side spindle is stripped, i had in basically glued in until i found a replacement, forgot about it, was driving to work yesterday morning when I heard a grinding noise, got there, put the car on the rack, and saw that the bolt had fallen out and the caliper was then grinding on the rotor (not the contact surface the hub part) I found a bolt and nut in my tool box that fit and put that in for now but its back to grinding so im about to head out and see if i figure something out, was hoping to hit the bone yard today but its actually raining out here for a change. (just my luck)

so anyways, what you guys are saying then is that i basically want the 94-96 spindles then off a caprice/impala? are the 9c1's any different than the regular ones?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:09 pm

im sorry the bolt isnt stripped (its gone) the thread on the spindle is whats stripped.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Head Bang Had the same thing happen to me in my old 89 caprice coming down out of the mountains in Colorado! That was a hairy experience!!!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:00 am

I can imagine! the thing is super annoying sounding too..anyone know if the spindle off a 70-81 f body will worK? got a 70 camaro to pull one from
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 pm

If it doesnt travis I have one here from my malibu your welcome to it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:14 pm

i appreciate that anthony, thank you.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

TWBouska AKA Wooderson wrote:I can imagine! the thing is super annoying sounding too..anyone know if the spindle off a 70-81 f body will worK? got a 70 camaro to pull one from

Found this in the G3Tech section, as usual. Rolling Eyes

https://www.g3gm.com/t627-73-firebird-camaro-suspension-same-as-73-77-a-body-maybe
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 pm

What can be used from a 74 Olds? I was thinkn about the interior stuff havent gone to see it yet but since it is couple hours away and they are scapping cars i want to know how much cash to take.
thanks
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:10 pm

door panels ,back seat panels. seats,column.
could be it

Last edited by 1973 454 MONTE on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks so pretty much everything? It is supposed to be complete so if it isnt alot of money i may snag what i can.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Jedediah wrote:Thanks so pretty much everything? It is supposed to be complete so if it isnt alot of money i may snag what i can.

not everything. no body panels and dash will be different. if it has buckets,they might not be swivels,and the console will be different also. but they would kinda cool in a different a-body.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next