G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers

+2
Bruisr
jerry46765
6 posters

Go down

Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers Empty Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers

Post by mc71454 Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Have any of you guys that have swapped in a BB for a SB, did you need to relocate the Brake Proportioning Valve for header clearance?

I had to on my '71 Monte which was the first year of the combination valve. just moved it up on the frame instead of along the inside rail.

Would like to do that before the motor gets dropped in.

Thanks !
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers Empty Re: Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers

Post by jerry46765 Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:49 am

What headers are you using?

Hooker Super Comps will require denting, tweaking, and grinding, but I didn't move prop valve.

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers Empty Re: Proportioning Valve Relocation with BB and Headers

Post by marks454ss Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:26 am

Along with a healthy dose of cussing! And Give Me Beer
marks454ss
marks454ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:20 pm

jerry46765 wrote:What headers are you using?  

Hooker Super Comps will require denting, tweaking, and grinding, but I didn't move prop valve.

Will be using Hooker Competitions with 2" Primary Tubes.

They were in my '71 Monte Carlo for 15 years. 540" motor ran 10.30's at 130 mph with them on pump gas and full exhaust. 4000#'s. Would like to recycle them and use on the '75 with 454.
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 am

Well, you are in the best position to answer this question.
You have the headers and the car.

Nine times out of ten, a tape measure will trump BS from the internet.

Let us know.
Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

jerry46765 wrote:Well, you are in the best position to answer this question.  
You have the headers and the car.  

Nine times out of ten, a tape measure will trump BS from the internet.

Let us know.  
Thanks -

Well the engine and trans are not in the engine bay and we have the entire front suspension removed. Hence the reason for the question now before new 454 / TH400 go in.

Yes, I am aware that I could check it out by dropping in the engine/headers combo together for a test fit, which if no one with a BBC sees this post by Friday night and can answer my question, we will have to do. not that big of a deal, and would shed a lot of light on motor mount, header, and steering shaft clearances.

Don't particularly want to move the valve up onto the top of the frame if we don't have to. But if we do, we have to do it with the engine and trans out of the car and my son doing the work with me directing due to my severe back injury and spinal trouble.

mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 pm

I've done 2 of these swaps. 1. A1974 chevy Malibu, 2. A 1976 GMC Sprint. I had some BB headers from Hedman bought from Summit , I used these headers in both cars. NIETHER car required any special mods. It was a simple drop in. I used both Big Block mounts and small block mounts. The only difference I could tell is the clearance between the crossmember and the oil pan. But either motor mount will work. I DID NOT have to mess with the proportioning valve.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 am

Bruisr wrote:I've done 2 of these swaps.  1. A1974 chevy Malibu, 2. A 1976 GMC Sprint.  I had some BB headers from Hedman bought from Summit , I used these headers in both cars. NIETHER car required any special mods.  It was a simple drop in.  I used both Big Block mounts and small block mounts.  The only difference I could tell is the clearance between the crossmember and the oil pan. But either motor mount will work.  I DID NOT have to mess with the proportioning valve.

Thank You !!!

We'll drop her in and see what we get.
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marks454ss Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

My 73 came with a 454 and I had no issues when I installed my Hooker headers other than my big hand making it difficult to put the wire back on the valve after replacing all the lines.
marks454ss
marks454ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:54 pm

marks454ss wrote:My 73 came with a 454 and I had no issues when I installed my Hooker headers other than my big hand making it difficult to put the wire back on the valve after replacing all the lines.

Thanks Mark !
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:38 pm

everything fit fine on my 73. Prop valve is in stock location. However, New motor mount stands on the frame did help with some fitment issues on pass side where one of the tubes hit on the lower control arm mount. Pass side was tight with the old mounts.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 pm

I have a 1976 Malibu with a BBC, and I am using 2" Hooker Super Comp header (for a 73-77 Chevelle).
I did not have to relocate the brake prop/combo valve.

However, I recall needing to cut a section of one of the motor mounts, per the instructions.

Although the instructions mentioned denting, I did not need to.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down