G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headers

+3
bracketchev1221
bitterfitter
pila
7 posters

Go down

Headers Empty Headers

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 pm

A friend of mine at work has a close friend that does professional powdercoating, they are hounding me daily....they want to powder coat my hedders. I've only painted them with hi heat silver paint. So, my dilema is what color do I have them powder coated? I don't really want them to stand out anymore, was thinking black this time around.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Headers Empty Re: Headers

Post by pila Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:42 pm

I had not heard of powder coating headers. Does that place do ceramic coating too ? The place here does the ceramic also, which would be better for you I believe, if they can do it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 am

I always liked the way headers look in the black finish.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 am

I think powdercoated headers would tend.to chip at the head bolts during.installation since.your snugging them up good. Also long tubes that scratch the ground would also chip. Hard to repair powdercoat if it chips. Then the rust starts. If.udo your.headers.Id use studs.on the heads instead of bolts..
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 am

Great thoughts and ideas so far, I'm not sure if they can ceramic Coat them, didn't know that was a possibility
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

I would do the ceramic coat if they can. They do have black ceramic coat now too. Ceramic can hold to higher temperature. I like the black for headers.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am

And dont break in an engine with coated.headers.  use old.headers then put the good ones on.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm

I had my headers powder coated with high heat powder before I installed them. It was a couple years ago and they seem to be developing rust in spots which is lifting the coating. I think the rust is coming from the inside as it is mostly on the bottoms of the tubes near the floor. Also where I scratched them installing the engine is flaking. I wish I had ceramic coated them.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Headers IMG_20140317_145948_zpsbra3dwzt
All header coatings deteriorate eventually.  This is the factory metallic ceramic coating on my hooker headers (doubled the cost of the headers).  The finish lasted probably five years before the rust & peeling started.  These are now about 16 years old, and look decent considering the age.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I will be trying stainless next time around. I can deal with the.bluing.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm

dynchel wrote:Headers IMG_20140317_145948_zpsbra3dwzt
All header coatings deteriorate eventually.  This is the factory metallic ceramic coating on my hooker headers (doubled the cost of the headers).  The finish lasted probably five years before the rust & peeling started.  These are now about 16 years old, and look decent considering the age.

Hookers coating just sucks. My nova is showing orange stains on the coating after 3 years.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm

I got a wicked deal on a set of stainless steel hedders, however they didn't fit, had to send them back. The ones I have now are at least 20 years old, all I've ever done is blast them and paint them, every couple of years.
That's the nice thing about paint, it usually burns off and is easy to remove, peeling powder coating would be more of a pain to remove.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

I used the Por15 header paint 2 coats, black base & "factory manifold gray topcoat. I only have one done but it came out pretty good. I don't have the $$$ for a nice set of Stainless ones, which would be ideal. It was a cheaper alternative to the ceramic heat coatings, that seems to work well. I tried the VHT paint but had to remove it (it sucked).

http://www.por15.com/FACTORY-MANIFOLD-GRAY_p_51.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm

You have to "cure" the high temp paint and.it will hold up ptetty well.  Usually run it at idle for 20 min. Then cool 30 min.  Then idle for 30 min. And cool 30 min. Again.  Something like that. And light coats are better.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:16 pm

I used vht wrinkle paint on my m/t valve covers (following the directions) and I think it is a awesome product.  The curing process involved putting them in the oven, so I had to time it so the wife wasn't home.lol
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

I couldn't get the VHT stuff to stop smoking...it was gross. You can pre-cure he Por 15 stuff if you have a big enough oven, otherwise it is a similar cure process as most of these coating are. I used it on one of my engine mounts and baked in my outdoor grille on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20 minutes...a quick baste & flip + 20 more minutes & done...season to taste. Very Happy 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down