G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good thing after PHR closed !

+5
ant7377
dynchel
77mali
thatfnthing
Oldschool454
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Good thing after PHR closed ! Empty Good thing after PHR closed !

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Well I guess after Pop Hot Rodding got done ( at least in print ? ) Good thing Johnny Hunkins had something to fall back onto who would have thunk he was Signed to a Label let aone his second CD ?  

WTG Johnny

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/johnnyhunkinsdowninflames.html

Good thing after PHR closed ! DownInFlames301

Outstanding 2nd studio disc by this awesome axeripper from California featuring 12 tracks of excellent, high-adrenaline, classic guitar rock mojo of brain-damaging proportions. Johnny Hunkins is a first rate, world-class guitarist who has produced his finest musical hour to date on the incredible "Down In Flames" disc. An essential, highly entertaining, dynamic, melodic, blues-based, hard-rocker that includes Special Guests: Derek St. Holmes (Ted Nugent/Whitford St. Holmes) & Jarrod England (Rufus Huff/Black Mountain Prophet) on vocals, Chris Duarte on guitar, Dirty Dave Osti on guitar & vocals, Tony Franklin (Blue Murder/The Firm/Whitesnake) on bass and Ryan Hoyle (Collective Soul) on drums. A superb, killer, six string-fueled musical ride that will rock your world "Down In Flames".

The hard rock you loved growing up hasn’t died, it’s been reborn in 3D on Johnny Hunkins’ new Grooveyard Records CD “Down In Flames.” Hunkins has taken powerful musical influences from hard rock and pop radio of the 1970s and ‘80s, and woven them into a brilliant organic tapestry of original songs in a traditional drums/bass/guitar/keyboard format. At times triumphant, heartbreaking, joyous, and angry, “Down In Flames” takes the listener on a fantastic, musically expansive journey that sounds at once familiar, yet refreshingly different. Its introspective socially conscious lyrics are relentlessly propelled by emotive harmonies, a driving beat, explosive riffing, and incendiary guitar playing that will have you reaching for the replay button throughout the disc’s 54-minute duration. (The CD is also packaged in an artistic 6-panel wallet with an 8-page booklet for a totally immersive multi-media experience.) The disc also features breathtaking guest performances by Chris Duarte, Derek St. Holmes (Ted Nugent), Tony Franklin (The Firm, Whitesnake), Jarrod England (Rufus Huff, Black Mountain Prophet), Ryan Hoyle (Paul Rodgers, Collective Soul), and Dirty Dave Osti. If you’re looking for authentic hard rock with a brave, forward-facing edge, “Down In Flames” delivers the goods!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Good thing after PHR closed ! Empty Re: Good thing after PHR closed !

Post by ant7377 Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Hes also now the editor of High Performance Mopar magazine
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

I want to hire whoever wrote that CD description to write my obituary! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:42 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:I want to hire whoever wrote that CD description to write my obituary! JB
lol
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Maybe I missing something... Who is johnny hunkins & why is it relevant here?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Johnny Hunkins was the Editor of Popular Hot Rodding and also a member here he Made the Talledaga Laguna and an Avid Laguna fan.

Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I have been trying to get in touch with him to see how the 75 Laguna turned out after the suspension upgrades.  I haven't had much luck.  I found him on Facebook yesterday and sent him a friend request.  Some people didn't like that car, but I did.  I guess I am a fan of all g3 cars and like to see what others do with them.  I wonder where the car is now.  I don't know if he actually owned it or if it was owned by the magazine or what.  Id driveit!
Good thing after PHR closed ! Phrs-project-talladega-could-benefit-from-glen-brewers-advice
Good thing after PHR closed ! Phrs-project-talladega-rendering
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 pm

After watching that video all I can say is it looks like a rednecks dirt track car... donotcare
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:27 pm

I thats kinda what they were like in 70s, weren't they?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Hunkins Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Thanks for the good words guys! I've been working on the album for three years and it's great to finally get it out. I still have the Laguna, and if anybody cares, it's for sale since I can't use it in Mopar Muscle. Breaks my heart, but I've got to move on. As for the CD, I think you'll like it (if you like stuff like Frank Marino, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or Pat Travers). Long live rock 'n roll!

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 am

Johnny Hunkins wrote:Thanks for the good words guys! I've been working on the album for three years and it's great to finally get it out. I still have the Laguna, and if anybody cares, it's for sale since I can't use it in Mopar Muscle. Breaks my heart, but I've got to move on. As for the CD, I think you'll like it (if you like stuff like Frank Marino, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or Pat Travers). Long live rock 'n roll!

Wow, Frank Marino and Pat Travers. I thought I was the only guy with them in his collection.

As for the Laguna, just take the emblems off and put Dodge wheels on it like I did on mine -- people regularly ask me what kind of Dodge it is. Depending on my mood, sometimes I tell 'em it's a Magnum. Smile

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 am

I loved the car and would still like to know more about it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Hunkins Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Info about the PHR Project Laguna:

Engine: 427ci small-block Chevy, Dart SHP short-block with forged Scat crank and rods, forged 11:1 Mahle pistons, Dart Pro 1 CNC-ported aluminum heads, Dart single-plane intake, COMP solid roller cam, DUI HEI ignition, Holley 950cfm Ultra HP carb. Output: 627 HP @ 6,100 rpm, 561 lb-ft @ 5,100 rpm.

Exhaust: Hooker 1 7/8-inch long-tube headers (ceramic coated), three-inch universal Flowmaster X-pipe system, Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers with axle turndowns

Driveline: Phoenix Transmission Products 700R4 & lock-up converter, Inland Empire aluminum driveshaft, 8.5-inch 10-bolt with Truetrac differential and 3.73 gears, PCS pushbutton shifter with paddleshafters

Suspension: Global West (control arms, springs, swaybar), QA1 double-adjustable shocks

Steering: rebuilt stock power steering with CPP Series 500 box and DSE “TC” pump conversion. All new steering linkage assembly
Brakes: Baer SS4 four-piston brakes front and rear (13-inch rotors front, 12-inch rear), new CPP master cylinder, power brakes work wonderfully

Wheels/tires: Continental ContiSport 275/55R17 tires on YearOne 17x9-inch Rally wheels

Interior: Refurbished dash (Just Dashes), Grant GT steering wheel, Scat ProCar 1000 seats, new carpet and rear seat upholstery, Summit gauge cluster (volts, water temp, oil pressure), Stewart Warner monster tach with adjustable shift light, PCS paddle shifters

Exterior: NASCAR tribute theme design. Custom NASCAR-theme headlight block-off plates (removable for nighttime operation), narrowed & sectioned rear bumper, custom front chin spoiler, custom rear deck spoiler, custom hood vents, rear window blow-out straps, custom c-pillar opera window cover plates, two-stage Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 paint with matte-finish clearcoat.

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Just curious but you said its for sale, what would it take to bring it home? Question
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

dynchel wrote:Just curious but you said its for sale, what would it take to bring it home? Question
Second that. What happened with the basset wheels? Got any updated pics?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Johnny Hunkins wrote:Thanks for the good words guys! I've been working on the album for three years and it's great to finally get it out. I still have the Laguna, and if anybody cares, it's for sale since I can't use it in Mopar Muscle. Breaks my heart, but I've got to move on. As for the CD, I think you'll like it (if you like stuff like Frank Marino, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or Pat Travers). Long live rock 'n roll!
NOOoooo!!!!! That was the first Laguna build I ever saw in a car build magazine. I was so excited when I first saw you'd purchased it and planned on a stock car themed street car like I was in the progress of building. I'll be sad to see it go. I'm always looking for new pics of it and possible new articles on it in your magazine. Like when you did the rear brakes and the paddle shifter install. But I guess I won't have to keep my eyes out anymore. Sad Hope it finds a nice new home and someone who will do good things with it. I just recently got my 200-4r tranny to mate with my 2.56 rear end gears and plan on doing some test runs with it next year after it's in. So mine's nowhere near done. Best of luck to you in your new journey!
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

I agree. I get excited anytime I see any g3 in a magazine, especially a Chevelle, Malibu or Laguna.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:27 pm

driveit wrote:I agree.  I get excited anytime I see any g3 in a magazine, especially a Chevelle, Malibu or Laguna.
I know right?! Like,"wow, somebody else actually likes these things." lol! I mean I know people like us are out there, (obviously everyone on this forum) but I thought seeing these cars being built in a big name magazine was just really cool . like they finally got some of the attention they deserve. Though I will say I think they're starting to come around more and more as the years pass. I remember just a year or so ago seeing opgi start offering replacement door panels for these 73-77s and I was pretty excited to see that. So I hope the trend continues to grow so we can fill the gaps in all these aftermarket parts magazines that go straight from '72 all the way to '78.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:
driveit wrote:I agree.  I get excited anytime I see any g3 in a magazine, especially a Chevelle, Malibu or Laguna.
I know right?! Like,"wow, somebody else actually likes these things." lol! I mean I know people like us are out there, (obviously everyone on this forum) but I thought seeing these cars being built in a big name magazine was just really cool . like they finally got some of the attention they deserve. Though I will say I think they're starting to come around more and more as the years pass. I remember just a year or so ago seeing opgi start offering replacement door panels for these 73-77s and I was pretty excited to see that. So I hope the trend continues to grow so we can fill the gaps in all these aftermarket parts magazines that go straight from '72 all the way to '78.

I absolutely cannot tell you how much I hate seeing this. 64-72, 78-87 What about 73-77 c'mon. the 78-87 isn't even a Chevelle at all! I like them too, but don't the g3's deserve a little love too?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 pm

G3's were very popular when new & very popular as used cars.  When they got old (and less common) people gravitated to the earlier cars.  I still can't figure out why the aftermarket skips them and jumps to '78.  The '73 to '77 is much better overall car IMHO.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Agreed!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Hunkins Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:59 am

I wish I could post pics here, but you can find a ton of stories on the car at PopularHotRodding.com and search Project Laguna. I would take $15k for the car--firm, as-is.

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I know its worth it, but that leaves me out guys. I hope someone can latch on to it.

Found this from their site.
PROJECT TALLADEGA
THE COST SO FAR
Description: PHR Issue: Cost:
'75 Chevy Laguna Oct. 2008 $5,000.00
Phoenix 700-R4 trans, flexplate, and converter Feb. 2009 $2,800.00
Sherwin Williams paint, materials, and labor March 2009 $3,979.73
Makeover (tires, wheels, graphics, seats, etc.) April 2009 $2,989.95
408ci solid-roller small-block May 2009 $7,685.00
Global West rear suspension June 2009 $1,699.36
Global West front suspension July 2009 $2,569.83
Global West front brake upgrade Sept. 2009 $1,118.45
Engine and trans installation Oct. 2009 $3,430.36
Total: $31,272.68

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0910phr_1975_chevy_laguna/#ixzz3Bhgfoxcr
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Hunkins Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 pm

No worries. I've got a friend who plans to buy it and part it out. If you've got a Laguna to sell, you might as well be selling venereal disease. And by the way, that "total cost involved" list is about 5 years old. It's more like $45k now.

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:46 pm

lol.  I really wish there was a way I could get that thing as is to ky.  I would even get those basset wheels back on. How did it handle after all of the suspension upgrades. I never found anything on it after those were done.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next