G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just one of those days...

+6
77mali
Joe73
dynchel
thatfnthing
Dinomyte
ant7377
10 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just one of those days... Empty Just one of those days...

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:20 pm

So I figured I would get ahead and start laying some paint today.  If it could go wrong it did....  So I have a few parts ready for painting so I decided to start laying down some color.  So I decided to start by setting a few pieces up just in front of my garage as it was a still day and nothing seemed to be in the air.  I setup my drivers mirror, skyroof, both headlight buckets, header piece from between the headlight buckets, and 1 of my taillight surrounds.  Everything was wipped down and ready to go.  I was dying to tryout my new Finishline 4 gun with the Dekups setup.  I was also dying to see how the Moonlight Drive Blue paint, I got from Eastwood, was going to look.  Got the respirator on, started mixing the paint and noticed it looked more purple than I figured, but what do I know.  Loaded up the new spray gun, turned it over and it leaks everywhere!!  SO I had to move fast and transfer it to my old faithful gun.  Started laying it on and it looked purple.  The more I laid, the darker the purple it became!  Finally laid the last coat that looks like glass and went in to clean the gun.  Came back to the door and there is rain falling on my fresh paint!!!  Out of nowhere...  I cleaned up, put everything away and went to find a strong short piece of rope and a weak chair.....  Just one of those days. Head Bang Just one of those days... <a href=Just one of those days... Purple1" />Just one of those days... <a href=Just one of those days... Purple2" />

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Just one of those days... Empty Re: Just one of those days...

Post by dynchel Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I like the color, but if purple wasn't what you were going for they I can see your frustration.  BTW suicide isnt the answer.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Just one of those days. Go have a sandwich and you'll feel better.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks guys. I knew you would understand. I can't wait to call Eastwood tomorrow and see what their answer is for this color being off.. All I know is I have more work ahead of me now

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 pm

I like that colour looks a lot like Plum Crazy .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:35 am

It's not a bad color in itself, but I can see where it would be a problem if you were expecting blue. What did Eastwood have to say?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am

Sometimes things happen, don't get discouraged.

Maybe the car is telling you something? Maybe it want's to be purple & have white stripes? Very Happy 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 am

Here is the thing guys.  I don't get excited anymore.  I have learned that these things happen and once done, you can only move on and not waste energy complaining.  I sent photos to Eastwood yesterday morning and heard nothing.  I called them around 3:30pm to check on it and the customer service person told me they received the email and it was sent to TECH.  They were going to walk over and call me back.  Nothing happened after that.  I will be calling them shortly.
 I like the color and would love to use it.  Here is the thing:  I am definetly putting the vinyl top back on my car and I can't see any color top that would work with this.  Maybe black.  Even if I settled and used this color; what happens down the road when I need to do a touch up or repair?  Now what color do I order??

Help me out here guys.  I plan on buying a new color to paint this car.  It will have either a black or white vinyl top.  I do not the car to look flashy.  So no yellow, orange, neon green....  I love blue; actually B51 San Marino Blue from the new M6 BMW's.  Any suggestions on this color or advice on another??

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am

Just one of those days... _20140530_141144_zps4d6hqqso
This is mulastane blue from 1972 (or 1971 i forget which).  Chris's 1973 monte is a correct color blue for a G3 if thats important to you.
Just one of those days... IMG_20140518_150641876_zps6hwhb7bs
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 am

You're definitely right about the touch-up issue.  So I would definitely go with a factory (any factory) color with a specific formulation that can be reproduced by just about any paint manufacturer.  And if you have your heart set on blue, there's no reason to switch to some other color -- it's just a question of finding the right shade in a factory paint color.

Definitely stay on Eastwood's butt about it, though.  I've had both good and bad experiences with them, but riding them was a constant theme.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:29 am

thatfnthing wrote:You're definitely right about the touch-up issue.  So I would definitely go with a factory (any factory) color with a specific formulation that can be reproduced by just about any paint manufacturer.  And if you have your heart set on blue, there's no reason to switch to some other color -- it's just a question of finding the right shade in a factory paint color.
Paint shops can take a picture of the color and make it, but a factory color is a safer bet.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 am

Do you guys have any opinions on that San Marino blue I mentioned? Too blue??

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:20 am

1979 Camaro Z28 Blue (Actually called Bright Blue Metallic) Factory color.

Just one of those days... 2u6iwck
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:34 pm

This is the color I was thinking:[img]Just one of those days... Image-4[/img]

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Here is the response I got from Eastwood:

Hi Mike,

Your photos show an accurate representation of the Moonlight Drive color – it is a dark blue with a redish face and sidetone, which causes it to appear to be slightly purple. If you’d like, I can recommend that customer service send you a replacement color or refund your purchase, that’s up to you. Let me know what you’d like me to do and I’ll get it started for you right away.

Feel free to scroll back up to the color to see what dark blue with a redish face looks like!! I BELIEVE EVERYONE ELSE CALLS THIS PURPLE

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Looks Purple to me.  I'd ask them for color chip/swatches for any new color you choose & I'd tell them to send more paint, at least it will be free from the looks of it.  

Ask them what primer they would recommend & see if you can get that too.  Might be just a coat of self etching primer over the paint & you can most likely shoot another topcoat over that. The problem for that dark color is that the primer may have to be tinted also.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:03 pm

bitterfitter wrote:This is the color I was thinking:Just one of those days... <a href=Just one of those days... Image-4" />

That is a really nice color! Was this supposed to be the same?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 pm

No this is a totally different color. This is the car and the color I would give anything to have. I may just settle for the color. This is a BMW M6 in San Marino Blue.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 pm

You'll have to scuff whatever you already painted with a grey scuff pad , can re-apply another basecoat color directly ontop, or a wet coat of sealer first then the new basecoat color. I don't like the purple color, sorry. Why don't you just get the BMW blue you are looking at? Any paint supplier will mix it for you if you get the paint code, they probably can look the code up for you.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 am

Go with the San Marino Blue, very nice color. Looking at the pics online, kinda looks like a kandy. The majority of all the new colors now are 3 stage, not sure how easy repairs would be.

Just one of those days... 79000101

My painter friend painted a car in the new Camero lime green about a year ago (3 stage). He said getting the paint mixed from his supplier didn't have the same pop and glow as the factory.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks for the tip. This is true. From what I know this paint has mica in it to give it that sparkle.
About 10 years ago, I was going to paint that 2003 corvette anniversary red on my car but it was the same thing and was going to be to hard to match.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 am

A 3 stage or tri-coat isn't necessarily difficult to match as long as it's blended into the adjacent panels. However the paint itself is more expensive. However many paint manufacturers have a modified formula to match the tri-coat formula into a regular basecoat formula. It wouldn't be as brilliant, or "pop" as much. But, the color would be less expensive. I work in a collision body shop, and wouldn't paint any of my own cars a tri -coat color....the cost of "quality" basecoat has just got outrageous.
Just about Every color nowadays has mica, or pearl in it... Even black! I just mixed up some black for our 02 Sebring that I'm doing an overall on, and there were 7 different colors and blenders and pearls, for the color I'm contemplating... A may just say forget it and mix my own variance of Black, with pearl and metallic in it.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:16 am

I am all for easier!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Just to give you an idea... These are just 200 different variances of the color black...
Just one of those days... Image_zpsa47e3625

We have these for EVERY color out there.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 pm

... Wonder what color would match the red in my signature image?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next