G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sticky steering wheel

+4
dynchel
BlackChevelleSS
driveit
thatfnthing
8 posters

Go down

Sticky steering wheel  Empty Sticky steering wheel

Post by magic marouke Fri May 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Anyone know how to clean up a sticky steering wheel that's been
Sitting in the sun for years ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Sticky steering wheel  Empty Re: Sticky steering wheel

Post by driveit Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Mine was like that and I put on a new one.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri May 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Found these suggestions.
"One thing that worked really well on my old Volvo was cleaning the steering wheel with Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Countertop Spray. I sprayed it on a rag and rubbed it on, and once it dried the stickiness was gone. I like the scent called Geranium best, although it really smells more like roses. I just happened on this remedy by accident, when I was desperately trying everything I had in the cabinet to remove the stickiness from the old rubber wheel! You can get the Mrs. Meyer's stuff at most natural foods stores, and at some regular grocery stores like Harp's. Good luck!"

"Drive em every day and don't leave em sitting in the hot sun. It'll come off on your hands for a while but they will get less sticky with lots of use."

Not my words, but maybe it could help.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 pm

I seem to remember hearing some time ago that it can actually be caused by the cleaning products that you use on it -- i.e. some are too strong and break down the rubber, which makes them feel sticky. I seem to remember that this happens with most glass cleaners like Windex and such. The more you clean it, the worse it gets.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 02, 2014 5:44 pm

From my experience, the scrubbing with whatever cleaners you settle upon is only a temporary fix.  What's happening is the plastic is degrading and the plasticizers will continue to leach out over time...and, will be accelerated in those parts of the country that have long, hot summers.  I just found a 4-spoke Laguna wheel I had cleaned very thoroughly 2-3 years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf in my lower level since.  Picked it up and was disappointed to learn that it was already feeling sticky, again.  Seriously thinking about just tossing it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri May 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Love my new one. Well it was new in 2006.
Sticky steering wheel  GRT-838_ml
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 pm

I had this problem on a citation steering wheel. I ended up cleaning it real good and spraypainting it black. It worked for a couple of years, Dont know what happened to that wheel tho.

Sticky steering wheel  SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm

driveit wrote:Love my new one.  Well it was new in 2006.
Sticky steering wheel  GRT-838_ml
Same one I have, but I installed mine in '97 or '98.  I just found my original in the attic, and it is a bit sticky also.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 02, 2014 9:34 pm

[quote="BlackChevelleSS"]I had this problem on a citation steering wheel.

OMG..you owned a Citation, too?!  And, you aren't afraid to admit it...ha!  I bought an '80 right off the showroom floor (first new car I had ever owned as a young,married man and new father)!  Believe it was Car and Driver car of the year and got lots of accolades.  Babied that thing and kept it as clean as I could...even through our harsh winters.  Couple years later, wheel brgs, cv joints, inner tie rods were all going bad.  Worst, however, were the huge rust blisters that would just show up anywhere and everywhere on almost every panel of the car.  Class action suits against GM/Chevy were threatened, but GM kept stalling until years later when most had gone to the big scrap yard in the sky.  What a POS!  Turned out, GM had duped the car magazine people by giving them cars to test that had beefed up suspensions and drive trains.  I swore off Chevy cars for years after that.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat May 03, 2014 12:33 am

driveit wrote:Found these suggestions.
"One thing that worked really well on my old Volvo was cleaning the steering wheel with Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Countertop Spray. I sprayed it on a rag and rubbed it on, and once it dried the stickiness was gone. I like the scent called Geranium best, although it really smells more like roses. I just happened on this remedy by accident, when I was desperately trying everything I had in the cabinet to remove the stickiness from the old rubber wheel! You can get the Mrs. Meyer's stuff at most natural foods stores, and at some regular grocery stores like Harp's. Good luck!"

"Drive em every day and don't leave em sitting in the hot sun. It'll come off on your hands for a while but they will get less sticky with lots of use."

Not my words, but maybe it could help.

Thanks I'll try and find some and try it . Right now I have those wheel covers on
Which are temporary
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 am

My car sat for 20 years.. it was bad..steering wheel was sticky as could be..dash was black moldy too..I used soap and water with a scotch bright pad..worked great but I had nothing to lose.
Sticky steering wheel  Image-42
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat May 03, 2014 12:43 am

Sticky steering wheel  Image-43 the whole car was bad
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 am

I painted one & cleaned one, which doesn't last long. Next one I do will be worth trying two-part polyurethane aircraft paint, which has film strength to seal the surface I believe....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 am

Sticky steering wheel  Image-44after cleaning everything and installing my $6 Walmart blanket seat cover I have $10 bucks into the interior in this beauty..lol
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 03, 2014 1:03 am

Hey Mattie...looks good  Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member