G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

end of radiation

+9
Dinomyte
orange Juiced
Wallyuph
JB2wheeler
thatfnthing
w451973
454fourspeedss
fishhead
dynchel
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

end of radiation Empty end of radiation

Post by pila Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 pm

My radiation treatments ended today, finally.! I have a red neck, so if folks call me a red neck, they wont be lying ! Very Happy 
Doc said the cancer spot appears to be gone (?) Later check-ups will likely show if the radiation worked..........hope so, 'cause I have too any un-finished projects ! Smoking 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

end of radiation Empty Re: end of radiation

Post by dynchel Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Congradulations, my dad is currently going through kemo thearpy and it seems to be working well for him also. Ain't nobody got time for dat...(cancer crap that is Lol)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm glad to hear that Bill. It is a huge advantage to catch it early.

Now get out there & finish that Elco. Very Happy 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:16 am

Awesome! 2 friends of mine (they are brother/sister) just finished their chemo with good results.Good news all around!

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:11 am

That is great news!

Now get back to work! Very Happy
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 am

That is extremely good news, Bill! Now you can have some peace of mind...and, focus on the Holidays and finishing your Elkie.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the encouragement.. Very Happy  And I hope all the other folks mentioned here are getting better also.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

end of radiation Empty good news & bad news

Post by pila Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:08 am

My radiation soreness in the throat had finally gone, the throat feels quite normal.  I'll find out in January if the treatment was successful.
That's the good part of the news...

The bad news, is I really messed up my back a week ago, on Sunday.  The starter on my pickup quit working, while I was out the the hangar where my '75 Elco project is located.

I'm doing an Annual inspection on an airplane there.

Anyway, the wife had to come & bring me home.  Sunday evening, my oldest son came over, and we went out to tow the truck to start it  ( it has a 5-speed stick)
 In the process of pulling it backward out of the parking space, I fell out of the truck, with the door open, while trying to steer it, and lost my grip on the steering wheel......
  I landed on the ground while the truck was moving, and got caught by the open door, which rolled me across the ground.  Luckily, the front tire missed my head when it passed near me.  I remember thinking " boy, that was close !" Very Happy 
I couldn't even walk upright after that fiasco, but we did get the truck running, and I drove it over to the airport where the the shop is located.  It's still there...
 So after not being able to walk much etc, the wife leaned on me to get the back checked Friday at the hospital.  X-rays show nothing broke ( luckily), but messed up discs in the lower back
They gave me meds to reduce inflammation, and muscle relaxers .  Today I can (sort of ) walk. Painful to sit very long, but pain is not there while in bed to sleep.
 Maybe in a few more days. I'll be able to get back to work on projects, and the airplane I'm working on..... Question

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:46 am

That sounds pretty dang scary, glad you're ok!

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

end of radiation Empty holiday wishes

Post by 454fourspeedss Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Good luck on your treatment and future diagnosis, and blessings and best wishes this holiday and for many years to come !

454fourspeedss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by w451973 Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Good to hear you are doing better and over the radiation. Bummer about your back. My daughter has non hotchkins lymphoma and going thru this right now. She's a fighter and doing well. Knock on wood. Now it's time for you and your family to relax and enjoy the holiday season the best you can. Good luck.
w451973
w451973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 am

My wife leaned on me Friday, to go to the hospital clinic & get some checking done. X-rays showed no broken bones etc, but they said the hip/pelvis may be cracked .......

Big problem has been that it's quite painful, but they gave me meds for that........but........

They don't seem to be working very good yet Question 

Getting the starter fixed isn't gonna happen very soon yet.....

But, the throat isn't sore at all anymore, which is nice  Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:08 am

Wow. I am glad you are ok as well.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:37 am

Wow, talk about close calls! Take it easy while it heals -- the Elco will still be there when you're ready.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks for the good wishes folks, it's appreciated.. Smile 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 pm

....when it rains, it pours. Sorry for your troubles, Bill. Have a safe and merry Christmas all and remember the reason for the season. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Today I decided to tough it out, and pulled the starter off of my pickup. It's in our nice warm shop !
Seems that one of the starter bolts snapped off, up in the engine block, and let the starter swing away from the flywheel, on the other bolt. It also broke a chunk out of the starter casting, where the bolt broke.
Not sure at this point on how I'm gonna get the tip of the broken bolt out of the block. Only good thing is that it snapped off even & not on an angle.
I got it center punched to drill a hole in it, but that bolt is a hardened bolt, and doesn't drill very easy.
Anyway, tomorrow is another day. My back finally got the best of me today, from crawling under the truck multiple times.

Isn't this fun !! Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Its hard to believe that for the love of a car we will put are selves in pain. Happy hotrodding! Hope your back feels better!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Try drilling a small hole to the side of the broken bolt and use a punch to try and spin it out. If its flush with bottom of block casting you can weld a nut by placing nut up to bottom and weld inside the hole. Its worked for me before.

Good luck.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:08 pm

That's got to be a royal p.i.t.a. while lying on your back trying to punch, drill, weld, whatever in a confined space...

This is going to require a lot of patience...me thinks. Good luck!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Bill
I've found that a good "masonry" drill bit (carbide tipped) works well for drilling out hardened bolts. I removed stripped Torx style seat belt bolts in the rear of my Malibu with one & used an "Extractor" bit that I got from Sears, which extracts the bolts in "reverse". If you have a variable speed drill it will work better as this job requires slower speeds like 750 rpm. Using a fast one speed drill will only waste bits & pi$$ you off. Take it slow & easy.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks....a masonry bit is a good idea ! I've done that before, but didn't think about it this time around. The hole in the block is counter-bored, like no threads in the first 1/2 inch of depth. That's where the knurled section of a starter bolt rides, so the piece I'm after is 1/2 inch below the surface of the block.

It's gonna be fun for sure !
I'm just getting ready to go at it again.......it's hard to get at ( naturally) so I've been using aircraft 12 in drill bits to get a hole started....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Good Luck!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:53 pm

I didn't know you were going thru this Pila, My God bless you.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Hope you're feeling better.

I new a guy who worked for Carrier who could blow bolts out with a cutting torch. There wasn't much bolt left but it was impressive. I don't suggest this in a tight spot unless you've done it before. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: