G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parking Brake Delete?

+4
77mali
JB2wheeler
bracketchev1221
Hawk03
8 posters

Go down

Parking Brake Delete? Empty Parking Brake Delete?

Post by Hawk03 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 am

Has anyone removed the parking brake (cables and hardware)?

Its never worked so I'm not worried about needing it in an emergency or needing it when I park or for an inspection.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Parking Brake Delete? Empty Re: Parking Brake Delete?

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Yes you can do it.  I don't have parking brakes in the Chevelle and it is a stock 12 bolt drum brake setup.  Pull the cable out of the backing plate and take the arm out of the shoe.  You can take out the strut that connects the rear and front shoe as well. I am not going to say I wouldn't get the parking brake working just in case, but yes you can do it and not affect the brakes.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I can count on my fingers how many times I have used an E brake in my life time. Once I bought a new car that had the E brake handle between the bucket seats. I was used to the foot operated in Chevys and was not familur with the lever. My coat tail got hung on the handle and just pulled it about a quarter of an inch. I drove 200 miles with the red light on the dash board burning and could not figure out why. Finally, I checked the handle. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:21 pm

There is a cable tie underneath that you may need to tighten in order for it to work properly. It's usually right by the Trans X-member. There are also a couple of hooks that are supposed to help keep it tight at various points underneath.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Would you cancel your car insurance just because you've never used it?

I've personally seen brakes fail.

It's there for a reason. I would take the time to fix it just in case you may need it some day.

74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I agree -- fix it. Unless it's a track-only car, you're better off keeping it. There's no advantage to be had by removing it, and it just might save your ride, your life, or someone else's life someday.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:19 pm

I agree with fixing them. Most likely, the problem lies with the corroded cables that run to your rear brake backing plate. Back in the day, we always just cut the cables when they seized up from salt corrosion and non-use. However, the cables are pretty cheap (Rockauto has them for around $12-$15/ea.) and they're not that hard to install; especially if you're going thru your rear brakes to begin with. The front cable, on the other hand, can be a p.i.t.a.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:10 am

Inline tube has individual pieces for to replace certain components. They also have everything including the hooks, for $119.00 if you didn't have any usable pieces. Seems like a small price to pay for the ONE time you have to use it and avoid a crash.

http://inlinetube.com/Brake%20Cables/brake%20cable%20listings/bcables4.htm

Parking Brake Delete? Captur10
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I agree about fixing or replacing the system. Only tough part is replacing the front cable, which runs down behind the left fender well & under the floor. I put all new stuff in mine, with stainless cables, for just a few bucks more.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down