G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

glass question

5 posters

Go down

glass question Empty glass question

Post by dynchel Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm

This may seem like a odd question, but bear with me.  Does any one else's Windows get a cloudy film (inside) on them?  My '74 has done this for the 19 years that I've owned it.  I will clean the inside of the glass, and within a month they look cloudy again.  It just takes a normal cleaning with glass cleaner (I prefer invisible glass) to make them look good, but within weeks it comes back. My dad says my moms'76 camaro does the same tthing, and he thinks it has something to do with the vinyl interior.  I just want to know if anyone else has this problem.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

glass question Empty Re: glass question

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Antifreeze leaking into your floorboard from a leaking heater hose? Even a slight leak will do this. Feel your carpet and see if it's damp. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for the response but its not that.. I have no heater core.  The lines at the water pump and intake are plugged with pipe plugs.  Its strictly a warm / dry weather car.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I get it to,the damn windows are always dirty,try cleaning it with newspaper and windex.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 am

Your dad is on the right track. It's a common condition on newer cars due to all the outgassing from the plastics and vinyls used in interiors. But, you'd think that would have dissipated long ago on 40 yr old parts.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks for the responses, I've done the windex and news paper trick it works well.  It just bothers me because I totally despise cleaning the inside glass, and I just spent a hour two and a half weeks ago making them all look nice and i noticed yesterday the windshield is starting to cloud again.Mad
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 am

A friend of mine that was a detailer for years would wash the window with a spray of soap and water then squeegee the water away the use windex on em. His looked nice but you had to have towels all over the interior when doing it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 am

Cleaning them isn't that bad, its that it keeps coming back (in a short time) that's the issue.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

glass question Empty Steel wool

Post by Dinomyte Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 pm

I had a simmilar issue in my van. The suggestion I got was to clean the windows with windex (or whatever you like, my preference is vinagre and water 50/50) and steel wool. Yes steel wool. NOT SOS Pads.

It's glass so it won't scratch, but it takes everything off, so don't do it if you've got some sort of film on the windows (like tint). Once you've done them with the steel wool then once again with paper or newprint.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

That's interesting, I may just have to try that. Thank you. John m.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Steel wool comes in several grades of coarseness. I always keep the Super Fine OOOO grade on hand to clean chrome/stainless... and, to remove stubborn contaminants on the outside of the glass. Can be used dry on glass if you use a light buffing action. Ihave also found the newspaper trick to be the best in preventing streaks.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down