G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What started it all......

+9
JB2wheeler
dynchel
cees klumper
Bruisr
skeezix91
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
dutch wagon
ant7377
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What started it all...... Empty What started it all......

Post by skeezix91 Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 pm

My love of the G-3's came when I was just 3 years old, when my Dad pulled into the driveway in a brand-new 1973 Chevelle "Deluxe" wagon. (funny how I can remember 40 years ago,but can't remember last week!scratch  )

Any way here's a couple of pictures I found;

What started it all...... Image010

My two brothers and a friend sitting on the front.

What started it all...... Image011

My brother and I sitting on the back. (I'm the kid on the right.)

I think my Dad paid $3500 bucks for it, and it was the first brand-new car we had. It was avacado green (???) with a brown interior, had a 307 with 115 thumping horses, and could barely make 15 miles per gallon.scratch 

We had it until 1979, when we traded it in for a 79 nova sedan. The car lot painted it baby blue afterwards. Barf 

What started it for all you people?
skeezix91
skeezix91
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

What started it all...... Empty Re: What started it all......

Post by ant7377 Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm

My dads brand new Cutlass Supreme (Plum color with white interior and top spoke wheels,nice) I remember sitting on the center arm rest (imagine that today) it got stolen and replaced with a 75 Monte Carlo. Then they all became popular to have in HS and so on.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dutch wagon Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

Nice i like those old pics! Keep them coming:cheers: 

dutch wagon
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:01 am

For me it was the first I purchased my self. It was a 1973 Malibu 350/350 with A/C. bench seat. The guy was asking 1000.00 for it and I got him down to 800.00 in 1980. Sweet ride for a 16 year old back in the day.
It had dual exhaust when I got it. With in 24 hrs it had the tires and rims you see below and rear coil spacers to get the rear end up. Next week was walker glass packs.

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/215]What started it all...... Wallay10

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/216]What started it all...... Wallys10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Gotta love the cb antenna and jacked up assend
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 am

Love the pics guys.

For me, my family originally ran round track on a dirt track near home. That was before me back in the 70's! After I came along they switched over to demolition derby. They crashed cars that now would make me cry! I have always loved the sound of a thumping v8 in an old Chevy.

As I got a little older I came across two cars. One was a 74 Chevelle Malibu Classic and the other a 74 Monte Carlo. I loved the go out and sit in them in the heat of summer and pretend they were mine. My uncle who owned the cars noticed my facination and told me to take my pick. The Chevelle just had something that tugged on me. It was in worse shape that the Monte which was a complete car. The Chevelle had nearly been gutted and the top had been cut out. My uncle had given 50$ for the car and at 11 years of age it was mine. It sat for years in my mom's barn with no engine and waited.

At around age 14 my dad came into an 80 Malibu with a 267 small block and 350 tranny. It was yanked out cleaned and painted black. Dual exhaust from a pick up went on. It drove for the first time shortly after. (Me sitting on a 5 gallon bucket!)

The engine had no power in my car unlike it did in the 80. and sometimes would die and not start back for no apparent reason. So again it sat.

High school set in and I needed a cool car. To me it had to be that 74 Chevelle. I began working on it anytime I had time or money after getting my first job. I went to my first car show shortly after starting to work and was thoroughly hooked. I got the original seats back in it from the Junk yard that pulled them out and had the top welded back in. I got a 30 over 350 and built it to approximately 300HP or so.
I got the engine broke in and in the car, got the dog house back on and with no hood took it to my first show.

That's my story and I'm stick'in to it!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 am

Awesome story I would stick to it also..
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by skeezix91 Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 am

The 267 was a great little mill. Except when the cam went bad. My dad had an 81 malibu with one, and we calculated that it got at least 28mpg.

GM stopped building them after 1982 because it didn't meet emission requirements. (???)

skeezix91
skeezix91
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:42 am

I junked mine a few months back as no one would buy it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:35 pm

What started it all...... <a href=What started it all...... Img_2016" />
What started it all...... <a href=What started it all...... Img_2017" />
im not sure why the second one is upside down, but this was my dads car.  my mom did (and still does) some modeling, posed for the picture.  this is the car I came home from the hospital in.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:23 pm

[url=What started it all...... Img_2010]What started it all...... Img_2010[/url]
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Thank you. I have a little 4 the of July buzz going.  Lol:lol!:
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:11 am

dynchel, did you think your eyes were playing tricks on you? lol
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 am

Smoking  Beer huh, yeah something like that.  lol!
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cees klumper Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 pm

What started it for me was the idea that, somewhere out there, after the 'My Name is Earl' show got cancelled, his ride must be somewhere! Two years ago I found it through this site and 'the rest is history' and I'm driving it around in Europe.
cees klumper
cees klumper
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by skeezix91 Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:18 pm

cees klumper wrote:What started it for me was the idea that, somewhere out there, after the 'My Name is Earl' show got cancelled, his ride must be somewhere! Two years ago I found it through this site and 'the rest is history' and I'm driving it around in Europe.

That's too cool!Cool 
skeezix91
skeezix91
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 pm

That is so cool! How long did it take you to find Earl's Elco?
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by cees klumper Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 am

As I recall it took a couple of months. I really got the car for my son, then 12 years old, because he and I had been having a lot of fun watching the show on DVD and the look on his face when he sat in the real car for the first time I'll never forget. It was about 'if you want something enough, even though it seems impossible, if you really try you might just succeed'. Now we all think this is the most fun car we have.
Now back to others: what started it for you?
cees klumper
cees klumper
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm

A reasonable facsimile to this car (only it was a 77)...
What started it all...... 1975_o10
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Baby blue.donotcare
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I love Baby Blue, any color blue. If I did not have a green interior... JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Nice!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:09 pm

What started it all...... <a href=What started it all...... Vintag11" />What started it all...... <a href=What started it all...... Vintag10" />........................................................                                                                                                                                                                        I believe we covered this in an earlier thread, But for the newbies, here goes. Imagine playing kickball with 8 or 10 friends on a quiet street in Owensboro, Ky in october 1972. You hear it first, then you see the front nose of a Black 1973 Laguna coming slowly down the street. As it rolls by, you see the 454 badges and the black swivel buckets and it has a 4 speed! It sits high in the back and has Cragar S/S wheels shining in the sun with big wide tires in the back. That was it... I knew that our next car had to be a Laguna! So when my Mom needed a "new " used car (we never bought anything brand new) It took me 3 months to track down a 73 Laguna. It was awesome looking with 36,000 miles on it. It was a "demo' car that a car salesman had been using. It was non- metallic Midnite Green, like the British racing green and it had a olive colored vinyl top and medium green interior. Bench seat and column shift, but I didn't care, that was better for parking with my girlfriend anyway. It had a 350 4 bbl, and it had posi. I actually won a lot of street races even though it was a "smogger' motor. I inhereted that car a few years later, and I put swivel buckets and a console in it and changed the vinyl top to black. I put Keystone mags with N-50-15's on the back and air shocks. Eventually I put 300,000 miles on it as a band car travelling around the midwest playing music full time untill 1987, when it finally blew up and it got scrapped... F**k I still miss that car!!!Sad 
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:52 pm

The Cutty I had was Medium Blue Poly, white interior & white top but I love the baby blue too.  My favorite combo, after seeing one close up was the Dark Blue- with the black interior & black top.  Those suckers looked mean.

I had mine back in the day as soon as I could drive (legally)...It saw lots of action with friends, family & Ladies...Gigitty...Razz

I miss mine too Sad 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next