G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle)

+11
Limey SE
alleyball4
1973montec
bigredlaguna
Laguna Budman
thatfnthing
1973 454 MONTE
badtemper44
Fishgrinder
fishhead
pila
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle) - Page 2 Empty Re: From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle)

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Could just not connect the lights on the Bigger ones and then add just a little LED light right above them, just enough so you can read them ....
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle) - Page 2 Empty Re: From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle)

Post by driveit Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Make sure to take lots of pics as I will need reference when tackling my dash. I plan on either reworking one that has the round gauges in it or make my own. Kinda leaning toward the second option and no idea where to start.

Dive right in is the plan!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Yeah I will definitely keep progressive photos coming.
First off, I sort of regret tearing the old padding out of the dash pad as extensively as I did, because I could have just sanded away were it was cracked and added an epoxy filler to sand out. But with that being said, I almost had no choice but to do it this way because I needed to see what I had to cut through for the tablet slot.
I did however leave the front edges of the dash padding in tact so I would not have to reshape the beveled edging from scratch. I will post pics up soon to show what I mean.
The new vinyl I bought is really nice stuff though, and it has a nice elasticity to it that should provide very helpful for stretching the new material around the complex curves.
I am not sure what I am going to do with the lower plastic dash half yet. I thought about either painting it or just vinyl wrapping it as well.
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Did you get marine quality vinyl? Just wondering cause it usually has better elasticity for those curves your talking about.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 pm

This is what I purchased

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/vinyl-fabric/faux-leather-vinyl-fabric/symphony-classic-black-faux-leather-vinyl-fabric-.htm

Material: 100% Vinyl
Width: 54"
Weight: 29 Ounces per Linear Yard
Thickness: 1.2 mm
Backing: 100% Polyester
Suggested Uses: Automotive, Contract, Education, Healthcare, Hospitality, Marine/Outdoor, Residential, RV
Performance Specifications:
Abrasion Resistance: 500,000+ Double Rubs per ASTM D 4157-10 / CFFA-1A
Ultra Violet Resistance: 1000 Hours ASTM G154-06 &AATCC 16-2004, Option 3
Cold Crack: -20 degrees F CFFA-6 Federal Standard No. 191A-Method 5874
Mildew Resistant: CFFA-120 / ASTM G21-96Anti-Bacterial: CFFA-300 / AATCC Test Method 147-1998
Anti-Microbial: CFFA-300 / AATCC Test Method 147-1998
Resilience SR: Yes
Bleach Resistant: Yes, Diluted 1:10
Flammability Requirements:
California Fire Code Technical Bulletin No. 117, Section E; UFAC Class I; BIFMA CS-191-53 Section 3; BIFMA Upholstery Section 4; MVSS 302; NFPA 260; Boston Fire Code (BFD IX-1); IMO A.652(16)8.2 & 8.3; ASTM E84 Adhered: Class I or A; NY/NJ Port Authority

From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle) - Page 2 SYMBLA_1z
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:41 am

Is that a dash cap in that pic of your purchases?
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 am

No, that is the original dash. I already removed the top of it, but I cut it clean at the top edges with a dremel cut off wheel so I only need to build up from there back. The top was rotted away bad. I should have taken some pics of it's condition so everyone could have seen what I mean.
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks Tuff, being a married man, you just added to the list of ideas that will never happen in my garage. So I live vicariously through you. Beer
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am

Hey, I just noticed something. Your car has the same tires that I have on mine. Winston Winner GTs.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Thanks Tuff, being a married man, you just added to the list of ideas that will never happen in my garage. So I live vicariously through you. Beer

Ha, well I guess I better do a good job then!

driveit wrote:Hey, I just noticed something. Your car has the same tires that I have on mine. Winston Winner GTs.
Yeah those things are all but gone. I pulled one clean off the rim trying to load this thing from its original resting place.
I am in the process of figuring out which wheels and tires are going to replace those bad boys.

I really like the stance, wheel and tire size of Ray Evernham's 64 Belvedere

From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle) - Page 2 Plymouth-belvedere-f_1600x0w
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm

you got some work ahead of you......holy smokes

good luck
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 am

Yeah, I love the look of that car. I think it was featured in last months Hot Rod mag. It is on an actual nascar chassis that won a couple races I believe. I love the suspension under that car.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1304_thoroughbred_1964_plymouth_belvedere/viewall.html
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:46 am

Yes I have that issue! It's truly an amazing setup all the way around in every facet.
Other than the gauge choice, I can't think of hardly anything else I would have done differently if I had similar resources and money was no object and there are few rides out there that I can't pick apart in personal criticism, but this is one of the few I really can't think of anything.

I have always loved the old real steel NASCAR setups.
From the weeds to the wicked! (73 Chevelle) - Page 2 IbwtSHq2rwctSk
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 am

I second that! That is the look I am going for as well. Excluding the rims.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 am

Well its been a couple weeks since I have had time to post up progress due to many rodeo events, but I am getting back on track now so I will have some things coming real soon. I am experimenting with a couple ideas with the whole dash ordeal as well.

Interesting how everything sorta fits already, might reconsider the layout

photo chevgauges_zps08431ad3.jpg

And one of me in PA on the circuit

photo brm0-1_zpse406184b.jpg
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed May 01, 2013 7:17 am

I'm like'in the look of those gauges. Oh and how long did you hang on to that bull?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 01, 2013 8:20 am

Love the Gauges but why not use a Round cluster Dash ?? would make fabbing a whole heck a lot easier, OH no I remember why because you using the Tablet Duh on my part ..
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Yeah those gauges dont get the justice they deserve in pictures. And I didnt make but about 6 on him, but you cant cover em all! Anyhow yes, it doesnt matter which panel you start with for what im doing because of gauge size and like you said. The tablet deal. Also I will be removing the center bars from both sides and making a back plate for each. I will cover the remaining plastic with vinyl
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 am

As I promised, I am constantly trying new things when it comes to things I work on and as I have been tooling with this dash some I came to a great realization of some common products to get awesome results for repadding a dash cap. On these 3rd gen chevelles, I found that there is a lot of complex shaping under the original padding that posed a challenge for filling again. Without set dies and and injecting machine I believe I have found the ultimate solution for this issue. GREAT STUFF. Its cheap, can be found almost anywhere and when cured holds a great bond and stays flexible and on top of all that is easily shaved, cut and sanded into any shape with minimal effort.

I have actually have done this twice now, once to see if it was going to work, and then I stripped it back down just for you guys to do a video. Of coarse this is just a partial video that shows the initial application process and I will add more to show the entire process once I get more time.

Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

gotta be the fastest cowboy I seen doing work LOL J/K very interested on final process for I have a dash to redo as well an who was the Music ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Ha, yeah, and the song is "ten million slaves" by Otis Taylor
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat May 04, 2013 9:46 pm

very cool tune I might say
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuffenough4u Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 am

Yeah I have a load of good music, hence the reason I have to have a killer sound system in my build. A great stereo can make a jalopy entertaining. I already have installed a set of FOCAL 6.5" components with external tweeters n crossovers powered by a helix 2chl amp. The mids and highs are awesome, just waiting to have a friend who is a stereo techy build a custom fiberglass box for the two 12's integrated into the trunck then ill be set.
Tuffenough4u
Tuffenough4u
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 am

build them into the Wheel wells I used to have them like that in the rear wells ....thru another member here and sounded awesome,
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Sun May 05, 2013 6:48 am

I am interested to see how the shaping goes ... I also, have two dashes that need to be redone .... I was saving up, to send one to Just Dashes ... but if you can pull yours off, I may reconsider.

They charge over a grand to do one now, so that would be quite a cost savings !

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next