G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour"

+4
driveit
DoctorLarry
Biomedtech
Pontichev327
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" Empty Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour"

Post by Darkcalling1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:05 am

Well rust as usual was worse then it appeared still no holes anywhere though Smile On the plus side it came as basically as performance as they could in '76. The 400 sbc, true duals and a posi rear with 3:42 gear ratio unless my math is off lol. Only other option the swivels.

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" Empty Re: Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour"

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 am

It sounds good! Smile My 75 S-3 came with a posi, but The 73 SS, 73 Grand Am and 75 Grand Am did not. Kinda strange in that it's the only one of my cars that can't hardly turn a tire to start with!! 350/auto 245 hp wo hoo! Razz LOL But that's what's so cool about our cars, they were still custom ordered for the owner most of the time back then...
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" Empty Re: Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour"

Post by Darkcalling1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 am

Yeah original Betsy had every bell and whistle available back then this one is the opposite, totally bare bones if it was a '70 SS would have been a track version order delete everything. The two center seat belts the material part one is blue one is red lol.

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 am

I notice GM was very stingy with posi units in that era. A friend has a original'74 Hurst olds "official Indy pace car" that came with a open rear end. (And no Hurst shifter?). When I was in high school a kid i knew had a'74 442, that also came with a open rear end. It seems like if you didn't order it you were stuck with a open rear end.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkcalling1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 am

Yeah I think after about '71 posi or limited slip rear difs were few and far between. I have had a lot of Camaros and if they were after '71 not even the z28s had posi often. Where as I had a couple plain Jane ones that were '70s both had posi.

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkcalling1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 am

Now just need to find a rear disc brake carrier up here for the back end.

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkcalling1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 am

Hmm think I found one 93-02 Camaro Z28 posi disc unit $500 obo. Anyone know if that is a direct bolt in off hand?

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am

Just had a thought. If you found a rearend disk brakes could you just the axles or do you need the whole rearend? Also how can you tell what a rearend is as far as posi or not?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but seemed you were kinda on the subject.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 am

Darkcalling1 wrote:Hmm think I found one 93-02 Camaro Z28 posi disc unit $500 obo. Anyone know if that is a direct bolt in off hand?
. I'm pretty sure 93-02 camaros do not use a 8.5 rearend. I believe they use a 7.5. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 am

driveit wrote:Just had a thought. If you found a rearend disk brakes could you just the axles or do you need the whole rearend? Also how can you tell what a rearend is as far as posi or not?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but seemed you were kinda on the subject.

A few months back there was a "junkyard builder" article in CC that showed the rear disc brakes from an 88-92 Camaro is a straight bolt-in swap for any 8.5 rear like ours. I did some checking, and every part can be ordered from someplace like Rock Auto except the actual brackets. Those you have to find in a yard somewhere.

None around here, but if someone else goes hunting and scores a couple sets, PM me. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks.. Ill read over that!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkcalling1 Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Well it's been a slow go but I knew it would be. Anyway she is stripped down to the frame rails almost and she should be off to the blaster in a week if it goes to plan now. Can the door reinforcements be totally cut out or are they intrigal to the door? Thanks

Darkcalling1
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:02 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
driveit wrote:Just had a thought.  If you found a rearend disk brakes could you just the axles or do you need the whole rearend?  Also how can you tell what a rearend is as far as posi or not?

A few months back there was a "junkyard builder" article in CC that showed the rear disc brakes from  an 88-92 Camaro is a straight bolt-in swap for any 8.5 rear like ours.  I did some checking, and every part can be ordered from someplace like Rock Auto except the actual brackets.  Those you have to find in a yard somewhere.

None around here, but if someone else goes hunting and scores a couple sets, PM me. Smile

For those interested... http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0805_gm_drum_brake_to_disc_brake_swap/ and http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1204_budget_gm_rear_disc_brakes_swap_junkyard_builder/
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorLarry Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 am

If you want a true bolt in swap, look for rear disc brakes off a mid or late 90's S10 or Olds Bravada. They have the internal drum parking brake, the correct bolt pattern for the wheels, and are really a bolt-in swap. Plus, they are common as dirt in most salvage yards.

DoctorLarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the tip! That might be easier to find for me, since I can't remember the last time I saw a third gen Camaro in the yards around here.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorLarry Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am

I've got an article somewhere that details the swap. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

DoctorLarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am

Maybe I am missing something here. So, all you need is your current 8.5 10 bolt with the drums and such removed, brackets, rotors, calipers and pads for a 3rd gen v8 camaro.

The axles don't have to be changed or anything?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:30 am

The proportion valve also, but yes that's all. Note axls need pulled to remove backing plate.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorLarry Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 am

For the S10 swap, you pull the axles and put the parts on. You will need a 4 wheel disc master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve. I have used both 79 Firebird with WS6 option and a Chevy truck. The truck cylinder has a larger piston. The prop valve can come from Summitt or Jeg's. I got mine from Jeg's-about $50. The master cylinder was an Advance reman-less than $20.

DoctorLarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 am

DoctorLarry wrote:I've got an article somewhere that details the swap.  I'll see if I can find it and post it.

It's probably the same as the one for the Camaro.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

Should the bracket look like?
A.
Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" MAPobR-HEpp9NfHwIvm7V3g

B.
Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" M4XpOjB78GX1ahNeAATBv9w

C.
Betsy's Rebirth "76 Laguna pro tour" MT9YaM1Ur9rbQO0gAjUbn6Q
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorLarry Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:44 am

No-it was in High Performance Pontiac and it was about putting s10 disc brakes on a 60's era GTO.

DoctorLarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Right, but I meant it's probably the same steps involved. Not the exact same article.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorLarry Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Yeah-same steps for any swap.  I put Impala SS rear discs on my 76 Laguna.  I re-drilled the rotors to the passenger car pattern.  I wish I would have known about the S10 brakes earlier-it would have been a no-brainer.

DoctorLarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 pm

driveit wrote:Should the bracket look like?
A.
B.
C.

They're not technically any of those, but A would be the closest.  Take a look at the Car Craft link in BioMedTech's post back on page 1 -- it's bracket #1 in the third photo.  The one you have marked as A appear to be the ones they labeled as #2 which they didn't like 'cuz there was a lot of shimming involved.  Kinda hard to tell exactly, though, as the photo shows it edge-on.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next