G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bolt-in rear end?

+2
alleyball4
Brainstain
6 posters

Go down

bolt-in rear end? Empty bolt-in rear end?

Post by alleyball4 Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

what mid 70's cars had the bolt-in axle rear end?

I have 3 Chevy 10 bolt rear end, and I believe all of mine are C-clip rear ends.

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

bolt-in rear end? Empty Re: bolt-in rear end?

Post by Brainstain Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:29 pm

The Oldsmobiles and Buicks. I happen to have an Olds bolt in under the wagon right now if you're looking for one. I already have a spare axle to put under it from the Laguna and its not tightened in yet.. I move in a month.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:32 pm

I have a guy from Craigslist looking for one
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

my 74 malibu classic has a bolt in axle 3.08 geared ten bolt with the rear cover that has the two C shaped cutouts inline with the axle tubes, I'd trade it for a C-clip ten bolt in a New York minute.

Does anybody know where and if better aftermarket axles are made for these press bearing ten bolts?? And if there is a girdle style cover for the odd shaped rear cover for them??
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:18 pm

carcass that would be olds buick you have and for adding ppower its better of the 2 ever see the tire and axle leave a car? not a pretty site when the c-clip comes apart they shred bodywork to chit

try moser or any bigger rearend axle supplier
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I'll trade yah, if you want. IMHO the odd bearinged and sealed bolt in axle b.o.p. rearend is obscure and unattended. My plans are for a nine inch if/when I can afford it. I am fully aware of the risks of breaking an axle, however I feel that either bolt on c clip eliminators or welded Furd bearing ends on a standard c clip GM housing is a better option than the B.O.P. version.
I learned my lesson on stock GM housings after having a 68 12bolt rebuilt for my 71 Nova, it was easy to spend almost 2300 to set up that rear, in the process I learned valuable information about the GM housings, such as the thin seam welded axle tubes, cast iron center sections with poor main bearing area support, cast main bearing caps. The Moser/Strange 12 bolts have 1/4" wall axle tubes nodular iron center sections with steel 7/16" sunken allen head bolted main caps, and come standard with big Furd press bearing axles.
During the build, I saw aftermarket/custom sheet metal 9" rears with three bearinged pinions and 35/40 spline axles at my builders shop and I plan to go that route with any further rearend build.
My Nova looks good with a stock appearing 12 bolt, but hot dang, that nine inch is the ticket, no questions asked.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 pm

aftermarket rears are sweet and if a guy can afford the way to go but if given the choice of factory rear i would do the bop since the olds were such torque monsters out of the box
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm

The 3:42 posi i have has bolt in axles. I got it out of a 73 monte back in 95. I still have it. One day it might whind up in the monte.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 pm

https://2img.net/h/i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o674/dynchel/photobucket-21128-1351170130421_zpse5b4528a.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o674/dynchel/photobucket-23023-1351170158139_zpsa6f45bd3.jpg This a posi unit that i got off of eBay that was suppost to be from a 1978 z28. from what i'm told it is for bolt in axls, and therefore useless to me. pale
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down