G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo

4 posters

Go down

Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo Empty Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo

Post by pudding36 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Hello, I've given up on trying to find a 73-77 12 bolt rear end and started looking for a 10 bolt 8.5 and that too has proven to be difficult. It's like a void of rear ends for that era of chevy. However, what I am finding is a ton of silverado, suburban, tahoe rear ends that are exactly what I'm looking for, with the Posi 3.43 or 3.73 gearing. Will this work? or does some one have a complete list of what will bolt in for a clean swap.

I've toyed with the idea of rebuilding the rear end in it, but I just started pursuing this dream, and the differential has been absolutely gutted and think it'd be cheaper to go with a new one. Here's what we found when we took the diff cover off.

i.imgur[dot]com/PiBz8DD.jpg

Other than the a carrier, ring/pinion and a master rebuild kit, I don't know what else would be missing. I don't even know the name of the brackets that the axel is going through.

pudding36
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo Empty Re: Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. You have been unable to find a 12 bolt because it dosent exist for a 73/77 a body. Your best bet would be to find a caprice/impala SS rear end. It will bolt right in, while you are there grab the control arms and sway bar (if equipped) as it all bolts on. Only draw back is it may have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern (instead of your current 5 by 4.75. A added bonus is most of these cars had rear disc brakes. Beer
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo Empty Re: Will a 90's truck rear end bolt into a 76 Monte carlo

Post by pudding36 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey man! Thanks for the tip, can I go outside of the 73-77 year range or do I need to stick in it?

pudding36
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 pm

All 77/96 should all bolt in. The newer 91/96 are better and more likely to have a posi and good gears. Police cars and impala SS'S are gonna have the best stuff. Look under the tech section under interchange to see how much stuff from newer cars will work.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Also, those tahoe, pickup and suburban rears are leaf spring until about 2000. Then coils became the rear spring of choice.

Or I would just use your rear and put a ring and pinion and a nice posi unit. I like the Auburn units.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pudding36 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm

What about that missing bracket? I don't know what replacement ones would be called, And are there bearings in there that wouldn't be covered by a rebuild kit?

pudding36
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm

If you get a complete rear end out of a caprice you can just bolt the whole thing under your car. I'm not sure what "bracket" you are referring to but rebuild kits typically only come with replacement parts for wear items.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pudding36 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

It looks like an axle clamp that's missing

pudding36
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Wait,
Is a Impala SS or cop car rear a direct bolt in??
I thought you'd have to have a disc/disc master cylinder
and its a little wider isnt it?
the control arms have differently sized holes?
Does a guy need the Impala control arms or the third gen style?
Are the control arm mounts located the same? or does the conversion require adjustable control arms to relocate the pinion angle?
It has a different wheel bolt pattern?
Does it have a 1310 ujoint yoke?
The auburn posi is non rebuildable no?
How does the emergency brake cable interchange work?
Sorry I should probly read the interchange thread again, it just seems a little more complex than bolt in.
And whats the advantage? it still has c clip style axles most likely has at least 130,000 miles on the bearings let alone the brakes, all for possibly lower gears and a worn out posi? Is there a cost savings by the time you rebuild the carrier and axle bearings, most likely replace the axles due to the wear from the wheel bearing, and they are longer than a third gen c clip axle arent they?

Last edited by carcass on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

If its what i think you are talking about, you will probably have to rob that from another rear end. You are talking about the part that holds the carrier in the rear end? And i did mention to look at the interchange thread for specifics

Last edited by dynchel on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pudding36 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm talking about the giant piece of metal that holds the axles, and differential. The Axle housing

pudding36
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

That is not something that is usually replaced. I don't know if that is available new or would be sourced from a junk yard. Like i mentioned before, look at out tech section on the interchangeably thread before buying anything. There is more specific information. Also if you can find a Smokey and the bandit era trans am, they pretty much all had 8.5 posi carriers. The internals should be the same ready to install in your carrier (by someone who knows what they are doing)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down