G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hood not functioning.

+7
Mcarlo77
77mali
pila
Joe73
Sleddogg
dragnrider9
ant7377
11 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

hood not functioning. Empty hood not functioning.

Post by dragnrider9 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 pm

hello so i need some help on figuring out what is up with my hood. I cant seem to find anything on the internet but here it goes. so when I lift my hood its very hard to lift. but shutting it is where the real problem is, I first have to push towards the windshield on one side and then the other and kind of shimmy it down to a certain point then i can just shut it. i gave to push on the outer corners in towards the windshield very hard. its sagging pretty bad too. I thought maybe new springs would help but would like for someone to chime in if they know much about these cars and these hoods. my autobody teacher cant figure it out either.....

dragnrider9
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

hood not functioning. Empty Re: hood not functioning.

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Did you try lubing it up real good? Also these hinges wear out and have to be professionally rebuilt,try new springs it may help. Hard to lift ? They are pretty heavy . I would try to lube it better ,watch as you move to where the joints are maybe do it a couple of times.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Problem is simple...the hood hinges are shot. You can't imagine how many cars up here in the yards have bent hoods because some moron tried to force them up or worse, down. The pivot bushings are binding. Don't know if there's really any way to adequately lubricate them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dragnrider9 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm

I haven't bent my hood yet, I am always really careful about that. one of my buddies said maybe to pull the hinges off and hit the little rivet type things with a chisel to pull them out and tighten everything up. also is there any type of aftermarket hinges that could work on these cars.

dragnrider9
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleddogg Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:51 am

I had the same problem with my Grand Prix when I first got it. My hinges displayed the same symptoms that you described. The problem is that these hinges (as far as I found) are not available aftermarket, and the used ones are usually as worn out as they ones you have. Here is a link to a message board with a real good home fix...I did it and it worked great. All parts are available at Ace Hardware of any good hardware store with a decent hardware selection.

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9373

the author is repairing Firebird hinges I think, but essentially the workings are the same.

Also,
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/services.html

if your not the DIY type. I think this is the same guy that was doing this on Ebay a few years ago when I was having issues.

Take care,

Jesse

Also, might add that new springs on worn out hinges like that will only make things worse

Last edited by Sleddogg on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add something)
Sleddogg
Sleddogg
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 am

Easy way to remove the spring is to use a fan belt. Just hook the belt onto the front of the spring loop and pull off. Its an easy way to grip it without it flying off.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 am

My hood has been like that since i got the car (though not quite as bad as what you're saying). i put a different set of hinges on it. No change. I have a replacement hood as mine is bent from a fender bender (LF) years ago. I am hoping replacing the hood will even up the hinges and it will close nicely. Smoking
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I always lube the hood hinges and other items when I do an oil change. An oil squirt can with heavy oil, like 40 SAE, is how I do it Also the hood latch. Nothing like some lube to keep things working good......
I've had 6 G3 A bodies, and haven't ever had a hood issue..(?)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Sleddogg- that's a great little DIY fix you posted there.

I'm guessing here but it could be caused by slight misalignment & too much stress during normal operation on those rivets (& or corrosion).

Check that the big bolts are tightened all they way too if you haven't already.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

hood not functioning. Empty Re: hood not functioning

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

See this all the time from people forcing a hood down. Also see a lot of Chevelle/Malibu hoods with a little dent right in the middle center from people trying to force them open. BE CAREFUL if your hinges are stiff! Best you can do is gently rock the hood back and forth as you open/close it until they can be fixed/replaced.

hood not functioning. Bentho10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by bigred84 Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:27 am

Man I need some parts off that car for my 76 Laguna lol

bigred84
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47 pm

I (finally) test fitted my new hood.  I soaked the original hinges in a parts washer and painted them.  I switched out my "new" hinges for my cleaned up OE ones.  After fitting the hood the hinges were still stiff.  Remembering this thread I lubed them up with motor oil....holy s--- what a difference.  The hood on this car hasn't ever shut this nicely in the 19 years I've owned it.http://www.thirdgen.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm

My 75 had this problem really bad. I got lucky and scored a set of hinges off a Camino though. After some lube they work great! Its hard to find a good used set though. I like the DIY rebuild though, looks good
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm

The worst thing about it is these are the hinges that were on the car for 18 of the 19 years I've owned the car.  All they needed was cleaned and lubed up.  Mad
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 pm

I've always kept mine lubed and never had a problem. However, when I sandblasted and painted my hinges, they were off the car for months. By the time I put them back on the car, they wouldn't even budge. It took a lot of finesse and a lot of oil, but finally got them working again. I'd be first in line if anyone ever made some of those billet jobs for these cars.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down