G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting

+8
Pontichev327
pila
Joe73
74Malibu383
2fat2fly
Jedediah
ant7377
bigredlaguna
12 posters

Go down

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting Empty MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting

Post by ant7377 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Where do you guys have them mounted ? I have mine on the passenger side wheel well and it looks sloppy I was thinking of just moving it to the other side (wires would be shorter) and it would not look as sloppy. Any ideas ?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting Empty Re: MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting

Post by ant7377 Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Am I the only that uses an Ignition box ?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting Empty Re: MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting

Post by 77mali Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm

None here Ant, sorry. HEI only.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm

I have an MSD box, but it is also on the pass wheelwell. Pics and compare?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm

How do you have the harness routed? Mine goes around the heater box (AC box) then across the firewall to the dist. I have the power for the box at the big terminal on the starter and the ground direct to the battery.The harness looks messy I want to put the box on the other side and send it behind the booster. I cant really see where else I could put it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I have heard of people mounting em under the dash, so they are out of sight. I put the last one I installed on the passenger fender and routed it similar to how you describe yours. I just made sure it was secured and in that plastic wrap.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:49 am

ant7377 wrote:Where do you guys have them mounted ? I have mine on the passenger side wheel well and it looks sloppy I was thinking of just moving it to the other side (wires would be shorter) and it would not look as sloppy. Any ideas ?
Mine is under the passenger cowl vent, and the coil is just poking its head out next to the msd dist., all the wiring is thru the firewall.
Plenty of room to do !
Never have had any issues with wet weather, (rain or car washing) happy bowtie happy bowtie happy bowtie
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 pm

I made a panel that fits where the glove box would be. I have a 6AL, Retard Control, BTM, and HVC coil mounted on this panel. All the wiring is out of sight, out of mind. I had to remove the factory glove box lining, but there's still room in there to make another one, it just wouldn't be as deep.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 am

I made a custom bracket that holds it horizontal above the heater box. The adjustment dials are facing forward and easily accessible. (Factory non a/c car)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 am

dynchel wrote:I made a custom bracket that holds it horizontal above the heater box. The adjustment dials are facing forward and easily accessible. (Factory non a/c car)

Dynchel, can u post a pic? My car is non a/c as well. I have my accel super coil mounted about the blower/heater box right now. I'm figuring that I'd mount the 6al in that spot and a smaller coil right next to it on the firewall. My new manifold doesnt have the mounts for a coil to put put in the stock location.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:54 am

I don't. Have any pictures, and the car is stored away for the winter. I pretty much made a 90 degree bracket and centered above the heater box. I am using a accel hei super coil that mounts on top of the cap. I have a power "stud" on the firewall near the wiper motor i use for power. This makes for a clean install with minimal wiring showing. When i get the car out in the spring i plan to take several pics to post. (Since everyone keeps asking.) Laughing
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:25 pm

I'll take a better picture later, but my MSD box and ignition control are on the passenger side wheel well. I like how they look, they fit nicely, under the AC hose, and, there is room under them to neatly tuck the wires.

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting 252688_2118322083505_2977960_n
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Great looking engine compartment Jimi !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

You know how hard it is to find good unbroken, unaltered, PLASTIC fenderwell in Az? I couldn't drill 'em. ... That's just me though, Ha Ha! Razz
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 pm

By the way, that is a great lookin' engine compartment! Laughing
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks guys! I figured the MSD boxes aren't ever going anywhere, so drilling them was ok. I put two black plastic panel clips in the holes where my cruise control was. Today I worked on the MSD plug wires.

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting 20121223_184119

MSD boxes/any ignition box mounting 20121223_135751
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:05 am

I have my box and coil mounted under the dash almost directly behind the dizzy. When I install these into my chevelle I'll mount inside the glove box once I remove the liner.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Joe73 wrote:
dynchel wrote:I made a custom bracket that holds it horizontal above the heater box. The adjustment dials are facing forward and easily accessible. (Factory non a/c car)

Dynchel, can u post a pic? My car is non a/c as well. I have my accel super coil mounted about the blower/heater box right now. I'm figuring that I'd mount the 6al in that spot and a smaller coil right next to it on the firewall. My new manifold doesnt have the mounts for a coil to put put in the stock location.
https://2img.net/h/i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o674/dynchel/photobucket-39856-1361895393537_zpsbfe8166f.jpg
I finally got aroung to posting this pic. Drinking Party
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Looks good are the louvers functional?

I always vote no to hood pins.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Louvers are fake just like they were on the original application.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Laughing

I just realized i posted in the wrong spot for the lovers/hood pins

MSD box looks good too fells.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

77mali wrote: Laughing

I just realized i posted in the wrong spot for the lovers/hood pins

MSD box looks good too fells.
i noticed that but figured you were responding to two different threads with one response.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down