G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My El Camino drives like a boat...

5 posters

Go down

My El Camino drives like a boat... Empty My El Camino drives like a boat...

Post by bluemonte87 Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Is there anything I can do to tighten up the steering response and body sway? Can I get a different power steering gear/unit?
bluemonte87
bluemonte87
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

My El Camino drives like a boat... Empty Re: My El Camino drives like a boat...

Post by Limey SE Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:24 pm

bigger sway bars, better shocks, and a better gearbox will solve most if not all problems

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:17 am

If you want better steering response, the first step is to replace all of the bushings in your suspension and steering. The differrence in ride quality would be immediate, and the bushings can be the cheapest thing you will ever do for your suspension.
As for your steering box, you can swap in a steering box from late 70's/ 80's steering boxes out of GM full size cars. They have a much closer ratio box compared to the 3rd gen's steering box (something like 13:1 compared to 17:1, don't quote me on that). The only big issue is that in the late 70's they changed the pressure lines on the box itself from a standard size to a metric size, meaning you either need to get an adaptor between the Elky's original lines, or make some new lines up with the right adaptor.
If you do that, along with all the stuff Maligoon suggested, these cars drive like they weigh 600 lbs. lighter. Cool
Sorry about writing a whole friggin' novel, but when I talk tech I get a lil carried away...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 am

Shocks make a big difference. But like they said start replacing parts.
If the steering is sloppy, make sure its not in the column or gear box. if not replace idler arm, center link, tie rods.

Poly sway bar mounts and links will help with sway and either poly or rubber suspension bushings will help, those 30+ year old rubber bushing are shot and sloppy like 30 year old tires.

My El Camino drives like a boat... SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:12 pm

This is your home for high performance!

http://www.scandc.com/

I bought one of their Lee Engineering 12.7:1 steering boxes for my white 73, and the difference is out of this world. Now I can accurately control the car while doing burnouts, even between buses and trucks on the road. You'll be really glad you did this swap.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down