G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having trouble with installing locks

+2
Jedediah
Mcarlo77
6 posters

Go down

Having trouble with installing locks Empty Having trouble with installing locks

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:05 pm

I just got a complete lock set and i am haveing trouble with the trunk. It could be that it is too cold out there and it is interfering with my fingers and brain. The trunk lock looks little different then the one i took out. The rod length is different and i dont remember quite how it came apart either... Then i was looking at the glove box and i have no clue as to the proper way to remove and install that one. LOL
Any help would be awesome and pictures to illustrate would be huge help if it takes more then three steps lol
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Having trouble with installing locks Empty Re: Having trouble with installing locks

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Ha...I just removed a trunk lock from a '76 Century that I'm going to use on Project Laguna. As for the rod, I know on OEM locks you can transfer those from one lock to another if they are different. I expect I'll need to do that on my project. Anyway, try that with your old rod if you think that is part of the problem. The lock cylinder is held in place by that clip you removed from under the lip of the trunk. To reinstall, you'll need to insert that holding clip while feeding the lock cylinder through the hole. Don't forget to also insert the latch mechanism so you can feed the rod into that before working the clip onto the back of the lock cylinder. Almost need three hands to do this...which explains why you're having difficulty with cold hands.

Have no idea how to change out the glove box lock. Somebody else?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Having trouble with installing locks Empty Re: Having trouble with installing locks

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I figured out how it all goes together been 6 months since i pulled the old one out. The old rod has alittle hook on it so you cant get it off the cylinder and the new one is about two inches too long sticks out past and into the trunk. I hate the idea that i will have to cut the new one up.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

use the old rod with the new lock thats what I had to do with mine

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Yeah...just compress that little retaining spring at the end of the rod and you can get it off. Very easy...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 pm

After i got the other one in and working i figured out how to do it. Now i will have to take it apart again. lol
What about the glove box????
I looked it over and pull the new apart and i dont see how to get the old one to come out. It will be nice to have one key for all this and good functioning locks...
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:31 pm

If I remember correctly, the glove box lock removal requires that you use the key to turn the cylinder to a certain position to line up the keyways. It is part of the process to take the faceplate off the box/hinge.

I'm sure you'll see what I'm referring to if you look at the inside cover while turning the lock with the key in it.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Oh no, i dont have the key for that. My car didnt come with keys had to make one the doors and put in a new ignition. Now i got everything so i will only need one key for the whole car but i never did come up with anything that worked for the glove box.
Thanks guys for the help
Any Ideas on what to do with out the key for the glove box
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Call a locksmith
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Just cut out the bottom of the glove box with a box cutter and you wont need the lock anymore. Happens in my neighborhood all the time. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Get a small drill (think Dremel) & go to town.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Jedediah wrote:
Any Ideas on what to do with out the key for the glove box

how about I sell you one with a set of keys ??? $35 to your door problem solved

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down