G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trouble removing clock adjustment knob

+3
WyldeBill66
77mali
1973montec
7 posters

Go down

trouble removing clock adjustment knob Empty trouble removing clock adjustment knob

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:57 pm

I got the threaded sleeve off the shaft with a tiny flathead screwdriver but the knob remains stuck in place.I tried prying it loose with a small prybar but no luck.Are these things glued on or just a tight fit?I don't want to damage my clock,any suggestions? Thanks.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

trouble removing clock adjustment knob Empty Re: trouble removing clock adjustment knob

Post by pila Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:02 pm

If you have some penetrating oil handy, like Liquid Wrench etc. a drop of it on there to soak for a bit might help. Some masking tape on the lense to protect it, long nose pliars on the stem after you pull it out a bit. Pry on the pliars against the knob with a screw driver & not against the clock mechanism. Had to do that some years ago..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

trouble removing clock adjustment knob Empty Re: trouble removing clock adjustment knob

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm glad I asked,it's best to hear from someone who's been there.Does anyone have a REALLY TINY gear puller? Thanks for the help friend,I'll take your advice.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 pm

fishhead wrote:I'm glad I asked,it's best to hear from someone who's been there.Does anyone have a REALLY TINY gear puller? Thanks for the help friend,I'll take your advice.

little needle nose has to grab the stem. it will come off WE Wink promise
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Yup,got needle noses.Forceps,hemostats,clamp.... Very Happy

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fein, Dr. Howard....

trouble removing clock adjustment knob 29036410

LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Or like mine, it just pulled out, stem and all... Sad

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 pm

Ouch....sorry to hear that bro.Mine is soaking in penetrating lube overnight before surgery tomorrow.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 am

I see that some clocks are being converted to new tech digital style, that actually keep time !!. Mine would speed up in summer. and lose time in winter. I have triple gauges in the clock openings on both cars now.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Did you get that clock stem off? I've got an extra if you mess yours up.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks! I've been real busy lately and haven't been back to it,but maybe the extra-long soak will be a good thing.Once I pull the little knob off I can remove the dash bezel so I can clean the gauge faces,I forgot about G3 chevelles having 9 gazillion screws.I found a hood for my 73 but will have to ask the guy to deliver it for extra scratch since my buddy with a truck let me down.I snagged a 400 2-bolt block recently for one of my engine builds and will be sending it to the local machinist soon.I've got WAY more plans than I will ever have money but I guess that's what gets me out of bed every day.I'll let you know if I that knob gets FUBAR and we can make a deal.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

cheers Hooray!! After a very long period of constant penelube injections the knob has FINALLY cooperated!No damage.Yeesss!! All it required was constant,gentle tugging with pliers every few days.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Nice glad to hear it all worked out to the good
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down