G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stereo wiring

5 posters

Go down

Stereo wiring Empty Re: Stereo wiring

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:12 pm

ok but for some reason i have my radio hooked up to the ign terminal? first i think i need to get my radio fixed. where are the yellow and red wires supposed to go from a radio so when i switch the car on the radio comes on and shuts off, and i want the memory to be set so when i turn the car off and on it starts the song where i left off at
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:42 pm

RED - Battery (Radio Constant Wire 12V+)
YELLOW - Ignition (Radio Switched Wire 12V+)

74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:RED - Battery (Radio Constant Wire 12V+)

i plugged up the yellow to the ignition and the red to the battery but it still doesnt save the memory, but on the battery one there is another wire that goes to a grey cylinder shaped thing could that be the problem?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 pm

There is probably supposed to be a fuse in there. Open it and see.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 pm

77malibu77 wrote:

i plugged up the yellow to the ignition and the red to the battery but it still doesnt save the memory, but on the battery one there is another wire that goes to a grey cylinder shaped thing could that be the problem?

try it the other way
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:31 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:There is probably supposed to be a fuse in there. Open it and see.

i dont see any way of opening it its just a small cylinder thing it looks like a tin can with a black wire going in one of the ends, should i try and bypass the can thing? like just un plug it and directly plug the red wire into the battery fuse terminal?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:33 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

try it the other way

you mean red on ignition and yellow on battery?
sounds sketchy idk if i want to do that i know for a fact yellow is ignition i dont want to electricute my self lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:56 pm

77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

try it the other way

sounds sketchy idk if i want to do that i know for a fact yellow is ignition i dont want to electricute my self lol
yea right,like its really going to knock you on your a$$.

take both the red and yellow and put them both to battery power.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:04 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

try it the other way

ill go try it in like 10 -15 minutes but doesnt one of them have to be on ignition so when i turn the key to the "on" position it automatically turns the radio on?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:52 pm

77malibu77 wrote:
bigredlaguna wrote:There is probably supposed to be a fuse in there. Open it and see.

i dont see any way of opening it its just a small cylinder thing it looks like a tin can with a black wire going in one of the ends, should i try and bypass the can thing? like just un plug it and directly plug the red wire into the battery fuse terminal?

It could be a noise filter. If you bypass it and you have a buzzing or whining noise coming from the speakers that changes pitch when the engine revs, then that is what it is there for.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm

k ill try it thx bigred Thumbs up
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:21 pm

77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

try it the other way

ill go try it in like 10 -15 minutes but doesnt one of them have to be on ignition so when i turn the key to the "on" position it automatically turns the radio on?

Connecting the red and yellow to a constant hot will allow you to play the radio without the ignition being on.

This is easy..... Hook the yellow up to "IGN" and the red to "BAT B" on your fuse panel. Put an inline fuse in on the red and call it a day.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:
1973 454 MONTE wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:

try it the other way

Connecting the red and yellow to a constant hot will allow you to play the radio without the ignition being on.

This is easy..... Hook the yellow up to "IGN" and the red to "BAT B" on your fuse panel. Put an inline fuse in on the red and call it a day.

i already have the yellow on ign and the red on battery and i always have to manually turn the radio on and cant turn the radio on until i have the key in
i would like it to where when i turn the key on then the radio comes on to the radio station i had it at last or the song i left off at on a cd
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:45 pm

You have it hooked up A$$ backwards........

Yellow is constant & should be hooked to a constant power source.
Red is your accessory wire.

Trust me & hook it up like this. If you can't keep memory after hooking up correctly, you done something wrong or the stereo needs worked on. As far as shocking yourself or burning up something in the stereo, I used to run a wire straight from the battery to the stereo back when I played around with stereo equipment & big bass. You won't get shocked.

Also, I wouldn't suggest hooking both wires to constant power unless you like dead batteries. There's a reason why you can't run your stereo without the ignition switch turned on. Wink
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Rago wrote:You have it hooked up A$$ backwards........

Trust me & hook it up like this. If you can't keep memory after hooking up correctly, you done something wrong or the stereo needs worked on. As far as shocking yourself or burning up something in the stereo, I used to run a wire straight from the battery to the stereo back when I played around with stereo equipment & big bass. You won't get shocked.

Also, I wouldn't suggest hooking both wires to constant power unless you like dead batteries. There's a reason why you can't run your stereo without the ignition switch turned on. Wink

lemme go try rago, so far you are making the most sense maybe theres a street cred in it for you, brb
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm

yes! it worked rago your a lifesaver, i just gave you street cred... i think
now if only someone can help me with this problem then i will have no more electrical problems! thank you rago

heres my last electrical problem, well hopefully,....

every time before i start my car i have to connect the turn signal switch (right under the steering column) and when i turn my car off i have to disconnect it. If i dont then i will have to jump-start my car because it drains my battery, and because i keep connecting and disconnecting it corrodes my positive terminal on the car battery and i have to keep buying new ones. i dont think that radio situation i just fixed could have anything to do with it because i have the switch disconnected and it still plays radio fine.

any ideas sorry bout all my problemzzzz lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Rago wrote:You have it hooked up A$$ backwards........

My mistake, I applogize.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm

[quote="77malibu77"]yes! it worked rago your a lifesaver, i just gave you street cred... i think
now if only someone can help me with this problem then i will have no more electrical problems! thank you rago

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

and to think,i gave you my # to call me,and you never did. now Rago gets street cred and i get $h!+. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes scratch scratch scratchscratchHead Bang
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:17 pm

I gave you some cred. You did mention switching wires earlier in the thread but I guess it went unnoticed?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Stereo wiring Empty Stereo wiring

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

lol ya i gave him cred too but he said something about connecting them both to battery and when i tried that it just sparked and it wasnt quite what i was looking for
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down