G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear end posi chatter

3 posters

Go down

rear end posi chatter Empty rear end posi chatter

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:47 pm

i put a junkyard posi in my car about3 months ago and it had some initial clutch chatter when i first drove it but it went away about 5 minutes of driving it and went away. now sometimes when i take a turn or put pressure to one side or another it starts to chatter and more recently its been doing it more often. the fluid is lucas gear lube which says its for posi but im not sure if its any good since i dont have much experience working on rear ends this being my first one. any help would be greatly appreciated. bty i pulled the differential out of a buick rearend sent it to a shop to have the side gears machined to except the chevy c clips
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

rear end posi chatter Empty Re: rear end posi chatter

Post by IndyG3 Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:02 pm

What car is it out of? Is it a gear type, or does it use friction material like the factory setup?
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:43 pm

factory setup pulled it out of an elco but later found out it was a bpo setup so what happened was someone pulled a third gen buick axle and put it in an elco
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Hmm. When you got it did you replace the usual wear and tear parts? Some units, like the friction material stuff, need their clutches replaced once in a while.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 pm

when i took it to the shop the guy said they looked ok and that he couldnt get a clutch kit but the ones that were in it were alright but i was questionable
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 am

If you have any doubts about the condition of a part like that, then it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace it.

Unfortunately, depending on the brand on the posi, it might not have any aftermarket support in terms of rebuilding them. I did some searching and a good portion of GM's limited slips were made by Auburn, and they don't make any parts kits for their older limited slips that I'm aware of, so I have no idea where you would find a rebuild kit. Of course, if anyone else has any info they're free to chime in! Very Happy
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:10 am

I'm willing to bet that Lord Vader knows- or knows someone who does- who might have info and parts for the BOP posi.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down