G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

automatic transmission Racing shifters

+6
alowerlevel
coreys73chevelle
BlackChevelleSS
74MonteCarlo
1973chevelle
badbiscayne66
10 posters

Go down

automatic transmission Racing shifters Empty automatic transmission Racing shifters

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:38 am

what really is a RACING shifter for a TH350? i see some really nice b&m shifter but they say not good for racing, and then they have the pro rachet that a lot of people use for racing. what is the big deal? i want one that is good to race with but can still reverse, use the backup lights and have the indicator illuminated what would you reccomend?
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

automatic transmission Racing shifters Empty Re: automatic transmission Racing shifters

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:07 pm

nobody?? this is my next part
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

automatic transmission Racing shifters Empty Re: automatic transmission Racing shifters

Post by badbiscayne66 Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 pm

BASICALLY RACE SHIFTERS REQUIRE A REVERSE LOCKOUT.......NEED BOTH HANDS TO PUT IN REVERSE SO YOU CANT DO IT ACCIDENTLY........AND A RATCHET SHIFT STYLE...
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:21 pm

the stock G3 floor shifter is sort of a "race" shifter, in that if you push forward and to the passenger side of the car, it will only allow you to go up one gear at a time.
ratchet shifters are a pain in the A$$, unless you get one that allows you to bypass the ratchet mechanism when you just want to put the thing in park without clicking the shifter 4 times.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:19 pm

I have a Hurst Q-Stick shifter in my car, its really good for racing and u have to push a lever to put it in reverse, the bad thing about those are the shifter covers, there expensive so i just bought a big shifter boot and put on it
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:55 pm

You're 15, and you're racing?

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm

nope, my dad drives it work work some, he dont race it but he likes to really get in it
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Ah. Well, you obviously don't have your license, but a word of advice. Don't race on the road. You could get mixed up in a lot of trouble, and possibly lose your car. Hopefully you're a level headed kid, and you know better.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:25 pm

unless you know some cops and the chief of police Very Happy
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:58 am

no i wont do anything stupid like that, 2 of my friends dies in a car accident and i dont wanna risk hurting my car,
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Good kid Thumbs up

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:04 pm

IM running the B&M megashifter. Its ok. I think itd be good with a new cable. The Pull mech to get it into reverse breaks easy so I made one out of steel. But the shifter is a one hander which is nice.
My cousin has the hurst quarter stick. ITs awesome shifter but I hate the 2 handed operation. it sucks, especially when your fat.

automatic transmission Racing shifters SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:53 pm

i think im going to get a Hurst V Matic 2.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Ive got a B&M Quicksilver in my '67 and Im probably gonna use one in the '73 as well
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:Good kid Thumbs up

LMAO! You're a kid too. Besides, I know a few buddies that were racing LEGALLY by the time they were 16. No harm in Bracket Racing, especially if the car is consistent & somewhat slow. Thumbs up I had one friend with a 10 second drag buggy & one friend with a pro street C-10, so even quick vehicles are fine for teenagers such as yourself as long as you can handle the car. There was also a few of us out running the streets, but I can't say I condone it now that I reflect upon the dangers.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Oh yeah....... I got a B&M Starshifter going into my 73. Honestly can't see the difference in it & the Megashifter scratch .
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 am

the Starshifter is the cheap plastic version of the Megashifter.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm

No, it's all metal unless you are talking about the base. If that's the only difference is a plastic base then Jacking . I had thought about finding or fabbing a console anyways so this isn't a big deal.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:36 am

comparing the two shifters on the Summit site, it appears there are a few differences.
the Megashifter is a full ratchet shifter, where the Starshifter is ratchet or detent.
the Megashifter has a longer handle that lays back a bit and a fancier lighted gear indicator.
seems to me that the Starshifter used to come with a cheap plastic handle, but the pic shows an aluminum handle just like the Megashifter.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't care how old I am.... If someone pulls up next to me on the street, I'm going to hand it to them. You think people build street cars that go fast just to go to the occasional night at the strip. Come on now. Some people's kids.......

As for shifters, I have the TCI Outlaw Ratchet shifter. The reverse lockout is a pain at first, but I've gotten damn quick at the one handed reverse maneuver. You have to install micro switches for reverse lights and neutral safety, but it's a nice unit.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by j Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:10 pm

buy the b-m pro stick / hurst quarter stick (same thing). you will never miss a shift, or go into neutral or reverse on accident. i have used the megashifter (not bad) and the starshifter (peice of crap)(in my opinion)...i would not hesitate to buy another pro stick !!!!
j
j
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:32 pm

OK, I'm not getting what's wrong with the Starshifter?? Please advise so I don't cut up my floor board for nothing (might be happening this weekend). BTW, yes it is detent/rachet & it does have an aluminum T-shifter handle. Without the base it is visually the same as the Megashifter my cousin had in his Cutlass. So ???
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by j Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:38 pm

the starshifter is normally used as a regular shifter...if you want it to ratchet, you must pull up on the handle and pull back on the shifter arm (it pulls back about three inches or so). then you can bang the shifter forward into second, and then again for third... the bad part is that in order to downshift (into second or first) you must push the shifter forward (3-inches or so) back into the regular mode, and then move it down into the ratchet position again. i have a car with a manual valve body in it (no auto features), and trust me....this sucks (alot of wasted movements with the shifter)(i actually get tired of moving the shifter so much...it is not fun to street drive my car).
j
j
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down