G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs

4 posters

Go down

Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs Empty Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

I was looking at the alignment specs on G3 Chevelle vs Monte Carlo and the Monte Carlo has way more caster at 5 degrees vs 2 degrees on the Chevelle. As far as I know the control arms, shaft and all else in the front ends are the same. So is there any issue using the Monte Carlo specs on my Malibu? I'd imagine the extra caster will considerably improve the road feel.

1975-77 Chevelle with PS (earlier cars have less caster)

Caster
+1 1/2 to +2 1/2 Desired +2

Camber
Left +1/2 to +1 1/2 Desired +1
Right 0 to +1 Desired + 1/2

Toe In

0 to 1/8"

1973-77 Monte Carlo

Caster
+4 1/2 to +5 1/2 Desired +5

Camber
Left +1/2 to +1 1/2 Desired +1
Right 0 to +1 Desired + 1/2

Toe In

0 to 1/8"

76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs Empty Re: Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:20 am

On the surface, it would seem to be ok if you don't mind all the extra shims.
One item of note, according to the myriad of literature I have, the Monte Carlo steering box has a different steering ratio than the other Chevelle based cars; yet another Monte Carlo only item  Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs 1f62c . Don't know what difference it makes, if any, but, then again, I'm not an automotive engineer nor do I play one on TV.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs Empty Re: Chevelle vs Monte Carlo Alignment Specs

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too. There wouldn't be any difference in the control arm mounts between a Monte Carlo and Chevelle chassis that anyone is aware of? I would assume the upper arm mounts at the same angle on both chassis.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by markmastrangelo Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:17 pm

I noticed the difference in the specs between the Monte and other A bodies about 1979 when I first entered the automotive repair field. I have had good results over the years with GM cars I have owned moving the alignment shims for more positive caster. The Monte does have a stiffer torsion spring in the steering box for more "road feel", but the box is interchangeable with the standard units.

markmastrangelo
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Zed06 Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Increasing caster just makes the car track better in a straight line. Turning will offer a bit more resistance the more caster is increased. Also, increasing the caster on the right side about a 1/4 to half a degree over the left makes the car track better on crowned roads. One of the best steering boxes to use is a 2nd gen Camaro or an 81-85 Buick Riviera with the ride and handling package. These are variable ratio and have a stiffer torsion bar in the valve that limits assist. They give better road feel.

Zed06
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

markmastrangelo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 am

I just double checked the parts literature and discovered the steering box for 1973 Monte Carlo was unique for that year; P.N. 6258459. In '74, Monte Carlo, Chevelle SS and Sprint with S.P. pack used the same box; 6260559. By December 1990, that part number was discontinued.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down