G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1975 El Camino - long term project

+5
Limey SE
zucchi
S3TPI
Tim
77camino
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 Empty Re: 1975 El Camino - long term project

Post by tgaetto Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:54 am

mine were pretty well absent of rubber but yes, the drill cut through it. I replaced my shafts so I was able to cut them to pull out each half. Don’t get too hung up on the process, just make sure you have a spacer between the center when you put them back together so you don’t bend the arm. 1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 6805a210
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 9ebb6b10

S3TPI wrote:So you drill out the rubber to enable you to remove the cross shaft?  That's the part that looks tricky to me, removing the first bushing with the shaft in the way.  I have some I'll need to replace soon, and I would like to keep the original control arms.
Thanks!
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 Empty Re: 1975 El Camino - long term project

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 pm

S3TPI wrote:Interesting, I'll give that a try.  What size bit did you use?

I believe is was a 1/4" bit? You'll need to experiment with bit sizes to get it to work. When it does, it will start to work out the rubber bushing in one big piece. That saves a whole lot of time. Then I hit the outer shell with a chisel and it popped out pretty easy.

Tgaetto, what size bit did you use on yours?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:49 pm

S3TPI wrote:Nice work, what method did you use to remove the control arm bushings?
I strongly encourage you to use the correct Kent-Moore tools to do that job; J-22269, J-24770-1, -2, -3 and follow the instructions in the service manual. It's way easier and doesn't risk damage to the control arm.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:19 pm

tgaetto wrote:mine were pretty well absent of rubber but yes, the drill cut through it. I replaced my shafts so I was able to cut them to pull out each half. Don’t get too hung up on the process, just make sure you have a spacer between the center when you put them back together so you don’t bend the arm. 1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 6805a210
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 9ebb6b10

S3TPI wrote:So you drill out the rubber to enable you to remove the cross shaft?  That's the part that looks tricky to me, removing the first bushing with the shaft in the way.  I have some I'll need to replace soon, and I would like to keep the original control arms.
Thanks!

I will give it a shot. I would like to save the cross shaft if I can. The el Camino looks great!
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:56 pm

Probably 5/16. I just grabbed one that looked like it would fit in the gap. I moved the drill around and used it like a reamer. First a couple straight through and then connected the holes by angling between them.

S3TPI wrote:Interesting, I'll give that a try.  What size bit did you use?
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Looks great! I have no need to do it and hope I never do, but I’ve always wanted to pull out a dash just to see how hard it is to do.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

tgaetto likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 pm

77camino wrote:…I’ve always wanted to pull out a dash just to see how hard it is to do.
Back around 1987, I pulled the [cracked and pealing] dash pad out of my '74 Monte Carlo to replace it with a much nicer one I took out of a donor in a wrecking yard. One of the things I did while I had the dash out was to clean up all the wiring left behind by untold monkeys who turned it into spaghetti. The nice thing about that is in the 30+ years since, I haven't had any mysterious electrical problems originating from, or involving, the dash. Very Happy
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

tgaetto likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 pm

I probably would have left things alone but the same thing happened to me. Nothing worked and wires were hanging down to the floor, some were melted and some were live.
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Took the day off had some water issues with a 2 day rain. Once that was tended to, I made some progress. 4 coats and the color match is way better. I’d say given the age and the New Mexico sun (car was originally from there) the color match looks decent. Much better than the bed, but of course I learned plenty. I am going to sand and reshoot the pilars when I spray the gate and filler panels. Hopefully over the weekend.1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 67bad410
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 1cb8ad10
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 035b3f10
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Finn Monte likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm

So my daughter and I were talking about the car, I asked if I should paint the rest? She said it’s up to you because you’re doing the work, but if it were me, I’d paint the whole car.... So, here we go. Have to paint the hood anyway. And I want to reshoot the bed.1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 62836410
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 775f8410
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:36 pm

Gonna look good when you get it all in new paint!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE and tgaetto like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm

Looking great I cant wait to have mine back in Paint let aloe the BBC in there arrggg weather needs to cooperate LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:03 pm

Stripped the trim, inner skirts, lock cylinders and handles between today and yesterday. That was the goal, given its Halloween. I’m glad I’m in this deep. Found some spots that need to be made up and welded up. Overall this thing is very solid. The areas I saw were in the rear wells, under the battery tray and one spot in the passenger door jamb. There are some other minor spots too but I am pleasantly surprised. Photos to follow as I dig in.
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:03 pm

A little more progress - sheesh that was a lot of work to get to the filler panels!
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 F2a7d710
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 Ab356010
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 2898a510
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:43 pm

The work is worth end result Believe me I know

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

tgaetto likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Coming along nicely! Is your cowl hood fiberglass?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:54 pm

1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 Df5e3810
It is. I got it at VFN in Addison Illinois right around the corner from my house. I was contemplating it for a while. The hood on the car was completely rotted, I have a stock hood but like the 2” cowl look. My neighbors kid is friends with the owner and sent me this picture when it was being made.
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Very cool! I'm guessing it bolts to the stock hinges okay?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:54 pm

Bolted right up.
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 am

Sweet. What are you using for springs?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:12 pm

They sold me a set of “light” springs but they were way too stiff. I went back to them and they gave me an even lighter set which were still stiff, so I heated them, lengthened them and re-shaped the hooks. Now they feel good and still have enough tension.

Last edited by tgaetto on Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 pm

Good to know. I bought one of these fiberglass cowl hoods back in the late 80's and never found a set of springs that would work. So I ended up making a prop rod for it which wasn't ideal. Can't wait to see your El Camino when its done.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Ill get a picture of the springs. It was pretty simple and I will eventually do them again so they are "better" looking, although they are not that bad.

As for the seeing the El Camino when its done ----- YOU and ME both!

By the way as a weird twist, I came across the car that influenced me (after looking for it over 30+ yrs) by accident on a FaceBook group "gen4 El Caminos." I still can't believe it. I am going to see it in a couple of weeks before he tears it down. He agreed to sell me some take-offs which is cool. I'd rather have the entire car though!
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:39 pm

tgaetto wrote:
As for the seeing the El Camino when its done ----- YOU and ME both!

Me also Since your driving Distance !!!!!

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by tgaetto Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:45 am

I had plans to be in the garage all winter but only found time recently. Going to blast the fenders and realign the drivers door and tighten up the seams. Hood needs some finishing and I’ll reseal things while they’re accessible. Hope to be back on the road by June.

1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 D47a8010
1975 El Camino - long term project  - Page 3 64bc2d10
tgaetto
tgaetto
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next