G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Sunvisors

5 posters

Go down

New Sunvisors Empty New Sunvisors

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Purchased my Acme headliner, 1973 Neutral Color, from Rockauto for $88 to my door.  It came with extra material for the sunvisors.  

I removed the edging on my original visors and the vinyl came right off nicely.  Its just folded on and has a metal clip on the ends.  I hit up a couple of local auto upholstery shops near me and they all wanted $100 to install and restitch the edge.   I thought that was pretty excessive.

To the internet I went.  I found Vinyl Specialties.  http://www.autosunvisors.com/    They have visors for lots of different vehicles including our chevelles and montes.  $88 for a new pair of visors.  Their site shows improved pivot area with a longer shaft or something.

Anyway, I emailed them and they have the neutral color but I ended up just sending them my excess headliner material just to guarantee a correct match.   I cant complain.  Excellent quality workmanship.  

Thought I'd post in case someone is looking for sunvisors.

New Sunvisors Visors10
New Sunvisors Visors11
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

New Sunvisors Empty Re: New Sunvisors

Post by impalamonte Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Your absolutely correct Joe !

Couple of years ago I approached a upholstery shop here and he said its cheaper now to buy them premade. He also told me that the machine that is required for him to stitch them was a $5000 piece of equipment. He said he was doing so for $100.00 pair and could not compete with the premade any longer and decommisioned it.

So what this tells us is that it is just another way the high volume manufacturers are ( domestic or Foreign) are continuing to put the foot down on the craftsmen of yesteryear.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for posting the information about sunvisors, I need a set and took a look at the site.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:44 pm

About 5 years ago I went to an old guy in town to see about getting some material for my S10 headliner. He offered to do the headliner and visors for $50. I could not turn that down. They were done perfectly. When I picked them up he said the whole job took him half and hour and about $10 in materials. They have lasted in great shape for 5 years of on and off daily use and harsh Louisiana sun.

When my edging started to go on my 77 I went back to see about getting the visors done (I guess OP had done the headliner but had just sprayed the visors black and they are fragile). His shop was no longer there.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I ordered from Vinyl Specialties and received my sunvisors yesterday. Installed them today and they look great. I'm very happy with them.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm

I noticed that rockauto has sunvisors as well for about the same price.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Yours looked really good in the pictures, so I decided to order from the same place. The Rock Auto ones may be good, but I haven't heard anything about them.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:47 am

Joe's visors look great. Definitely will try out Vinyl Specialties for my next project. I did buy a set of visors from Rock Auto for my 87 SS El Camino and they were well made but the color was just a shade lighter than my existing headliner which I'm sure is due to age. But very happy with them and the price was right.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

S3TPI likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down