G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going from bench to swivel buckets

4 posters

Go down

Going from bench to swivel buckets Empty Going from bench to swivel buckets

Post by MarchingFalcon Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:41 pm

I was just given a sweet deal on a set of swivel buckets and complete console for my 1977 Chevelle. Not certain what year Chevelle they came out of but they are all the same correct? I need to get them re-upholstered into white vinyl, but that is not an issue. How easy of a swap is it? I want to make it look correct , so do I need another steering column, or just a collar? Please inform.

Thanks
MarchingFalcon
MarchingFalcon
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Going from bench to swivel buckets Empty Re: Going from bench to swivel buckets

Post by Limey SE Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:20 pm

You can switch the collar Will need the Console Brackets and Swivel seat brackets an The swivel seat belts..... My Freind Kevin Stroh in Michigan makes all the brackets needed if your On Facebook look him up Tell Him Anthony Heckman sent ya

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 am

Here are a couple of threads that go into more detail on the swap. Its not difficult if you have the seat brackets or can make them.

Page 5 of this thread has more details and measurement of outer side rear seat belt and seat bracket location.
https://www.g3gm.com/t8866p75-interior-removal-update

https://www.g3gm.com/t2671-installing-swivel-buckets
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by MarchingFalcon Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Ok, got the Buckets and console, now how much different are the seat belts? will I need to get both pieces? ALSO.. did they make a swivel bucket car without the console? I think that will look cool and different!
MarchingFalcon
MarchingFalcon
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 am

Here is a pic I have of a swivel bucket seat belt set (including the rears).  Note the long, front inner belts in plastic sleeves shown in the center.  Also, be advised that the male buckle ends are different than what you have on your bench seat belts.  They will NOT work with your existing inner belts if you are considering re-using those.  It WOULD be possible to swap the belt straps from your existing outer belts to the correct swivel type retractors and then re-use your existing inner belts.  I mention this only as an alternative if you can't find swivel belt retractors with correct color belts and wouldn't mind floppy inner belts that won't stand up alongside the seats for easy access.

As for cars that came with swivel buckets and no console...yes, they were out there.  I've come across two of them over the years at the JY's...one I recall being a '73 El Camino SS.

Going from bench to swivel buckets Blkswi10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down