G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subject of Stolen cars

+5
thatfnthing
77camino
FumiyoG3
ant7377
impalamonte
9 posters

Go down

Subject of Stolen cars Empty Subject of Stolen cars

Post by impalamonte Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Hey guys ,

Since the POWER TOUR this year and all the talk of the 5 cars that were stolen.....I frequent the Hot Rod Tour Public facebook page...although I don't facebook....

But , I came across this:  

Subject of Stolen cars Captur10
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Subject of Stolen cars Empty Re: Subject of Stolen cars

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Yea this is a Shame it is / was a Nice Guna

Hopefully they will get Lucky like the Monte SS that was stolen, IT WAS RECOVERED motor intact with just some damage to Dash wiring and other interior panels, While the Yellow Malibu wagon also was Recovered BUT rattle canned everything even the wheels

Subject of Stolen cars 67619810
Subject of Stolen cars 67736210Subject of Stolen cars 67410610
Subject of Stolen cars 67673110
Subject of Stolen cars 67933610

Subject of Stolen cars 67646010
Subject of Stolen cars 67788310
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:03 pm

See the busted column. That how they get it. Jeez just do anything to disable when leaving it outside overnight. Unplug the distributor or anything.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 pm

The Guy that owns the Monte SS actually had the steering wheel in the Hotel room with him he has a quick disconnect Steering wheel and according to the post from the group There were several around 10 Others that were attempted in 2 other Hotels but got spooked for some reason

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Oh the stolen car stories I can tell. Guys driving with vise grips for steering wheels. Hacksawed steering wheels to get "the club" off. Windshields pushed outwards so they can drive with "the club" still on. Some guys were so good with gm stuff that they could break off the directional and use the lever to hack into the column to start the car. But I still remember the 73-77 Cutlass I found on a deserted street, STILL RUNNING and lights on, but up on 4 milk crates with no wheels. Real clean cutlass, black with a tan interior. Funny stuff I've encountered.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Man Joe from stories you have shared with me ....You could write a book

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:32 pm

such as shame, i hope they recover the Laguna as in tact as possible. and if they catch the gutless thieves, give the owners 5 minutes alone with them...
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 pm

In the late 80’s I drove a 78 LeSabre back and forth to work. I cut the hot lead to the distributor and ran it through a toggle switch under the dash. With the switch off the car would crank like it wanted to start but would not start.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 am

Two interesting kill switches I installed.

In high school my buddy inherited his moms 1969 AMC Javelin. Decent car. Had a 290, 2 barrel, no posi. Anyway, the rear end of the center console had an ashtray in it. Just a small door, with a lighter for the rear seat passengers. I extended his coil wire and modded the lighter to be the switch. So when he parked the car, he pulled the lighter and left it in the ash tray. Car wont start.

Around the same time a buddy of mine had a nice stereo system in his car. Car was nice but not exceptional. Everyone knew he had a nice system in it and of course "the benzi box" radio that slides out. Anyway, I stumbled upon a type of contact pad switch. It looked like a six or maybe ten inch square of vinyl. Relatively thin but two square pieces of vinyl with I guess metal on the insides facing each other. Stitched around the perimeter. Two wires coming out of the sides. If you put pressure on the center, it would make contact and close the circuit. I ended up removing some of the piping on his floor mat, sliding the panel into the center of the floor mat and having it stitched up again. Wires exited out the top edge behind the brake pedal. I installed a plug there so the mat can be removed. Then (going from memory here, might have been a relay involved) I wired it that in order to start the car you had to lift your feet off the mat. Once running, you can drive like normal. I figured if someone wanted to steal it they wouldnt figure it out in there heated rush.

That was all in the late 80s. Fun times.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am

Joe73 wrote:In high school my buddy inherited his moms 1969 AMC Javelin.  Decent car.  Had a 290, 2 barrel, no posi.  Anyway, the rear end of the center console had an ashtray in it.  Just a small door, with a lighter for the rear seat passengers.  I extended his coil wire and modded the lighter to be the switch.  So when he parked the car, he pulled the lighter and left it in the ash tray.  Car wont start.

Slick!

Joe73 wrote:Around the same time a buddy of mine had a nice stereo system in his car.  Car was nice but not exceptional.  Everyone knew he had a nice system in it and of course "the benzi box" radio that slides out.  Anyway, I stumbled upon a type of contact pad switch.  It looked like a six or maybe ten inch square of vinyl.  Relatively thin but two square pieces of vinyl with I guess metal on the insides facing each other.  Stitched around the perimeter.  Two wires coming out of the sides.  If you put pressure on the center, it would make contact and close the circuit.  I ended up removing some of the piping on his floor mat, sliding the panel into the center of the floor mat and having it stitched up again.  Wires exited out the top edge behind the brake pedal.  I installed a plug there so the mat can be removed.  Then (going from memory here, might have been a relay involved) I wired it that in order to start the car you had to lift your feet off the mat.  Once running, you can drive like normal.  I figured if someone wanted to steal it they wouldnt figure it out in there heated rush.

Very imaginative! It would definitely require a relay to use a normally-open switch on a normally-closed circuit. Probably also if you tapped directly into the starter circuit, which will flow more amps than a contact pad would likely handle.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Great ideas Joe. One thing I've always have done when it comes to any toggle switch when possible, is to run the switch on the ground side of the circuit. That way not only does the switch last longer, but it also prevents any problems down the road with any fires caused by the power wire going to ground.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17 pm

fasrnur wrote:Great ideas Joe. One thing I've always have done when it comes to any toggle switch when possible, is to run the switch on the ground side of the circuit. That way not only does the switch last longer, but it also prevents any problems down the road with any fires caused by the power wire going to ground.

Thats exactly how I do it. I have aux. towing lights on two of my vehicles and thats how I wired the relays. Switch in the ground line.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Subject of Stolen cars Empty Of course it's taken...

Post by S3SS Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Makes me sick....My buddies duramax was taken in the fall ....police said to file a report with insurance and gave a file #...Every time I have the SS Silverado out a person will ask me if its ever been stolen....NO. always locked in garage.... though I do unplug the pump relay and now have gone back to the lock bar across steeling wheel as a deterrent when out from time to time with it....
A person this past week had his 67 mustang hot-wired and stolen....police found it on a flatbed heading south. He got it back two days later...LUCKY.... Hope they find the cars....I never leave the vintage cars anywhere...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 pm

May be this will put a dent into the Car Theft ring in the south

Subject of Stolen cars 67634210

*****UPDATE*****

ARREST MADE - STOLEN VEHICLES VALUED AT $500K

Mark Alan Warnock was arrested last night in connection to the $500k in stolen vehicles recovered on Spring Hill Road in Camden. We believe this illegal operation has been up a running for several months. Your KCSO Investigators are currently recovering more stolen vehicles from other locations.

We are asking anyone to please contact the Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office if you have recently purchased anything from Mark Warnock, his acquaintances, or his construction company. The deal you got from them may have seemed “too good to be true” for a reason.

You can be charged for being in possession of stolen property or selling stolen property. Please come to KCSO or any local law enforcement agency to verify your purchase from Warnock was not stolen. We may be able to get restitution for you if your purchase was stolen.

This investigation is ongoing. Please contact the Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office @ 803-425-1512 if you have any information about this incident.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down