G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off

5 posters

Go down

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off Empty "fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off

Post by dhw3971 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:07 am

So after 43 years the "fasten seat belts" buzzer and warning light has decided to stop working correctly. Yesterday I discovered the the buzzer and light just keep on goin' instead of turning off after 5 seconds. I removed the buzz box but the light is on all the time.

Anyone know what the cause of this is and how to fix it?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off Empty Re: "fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:43 am

I'd plug the buzzer back in and disconnect the switch under the seat drivers side. If that doesnt do it, reconnect it, and disconnect the passenger side. That will eliminate if its the seat switches.

If I remember correctly, the yellow wire with the black stripe is for the drivers side buzzer.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off Empty Re: "fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off

Post by dhw3971 Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Under the seat, you say?  Hmm...I've got a bench seat and I know that when I've removed it in years past I do not remember disconnecting an underseat switch.

I think there are two black wires leading up to the female part of the buckle; are those related to this problem?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Hopefully someone can elaborate on this. Its been alot of years since I've messed with that buzzer. I'm having a second thought that maybe that yellow wire with black stripe plugged into something at the floor re-tractor for bench seats.

Hopefully someone will post up.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:20 pm

IIRC, it's a yellow wire and a black wire, and they have a connector stuffed in the seat belt retractor if you pull off the back cover. You can disconnect that and it should kill the buzzer.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Seat belt retractor...that is down at the floor, correct?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Yep. At least in 73 it was in the pedestal the rear seat leg mounted to. I *assume* that continued in later years.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 am

I was able to snip the wires that lead up to the buckle and then wire the other ends together .  This ended the buzzer but the idiot light remains on.  I'm going to get some help from a friend who is a whiz with auto electronics and he may be able to make thelight go out.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:56 am

I've been unable to disconnect the fasten seat belts warning light (black tape repair currently in use). I checked the schematic in the electronics section of the forum and didn't find one for a 1975 with automatic...anyone got a line on one? I'm searching the WWW with few results.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 pm

You could just take the dash face off and remove the bulb...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm

yes, I have considered that.   But due to a few reasons that really made the process difficult  Head Bang  the last time I had the those pieces removed I swore it would remain intact forever...I'll do it as a last resort.  maybe the bulb will burn out soon...
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:08 am

problem solved yesterday. Driving home from a trip the odometer decided to get stuck at 69999.9 so that required a removal of dash face and speedometer. Removed the fasten seat belts light bulb in the process. Now the car will be faster without that extra weight.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off Empty What a mystery

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:44 am

My seat belt buzzer wasn't working when I got the car many years ago. I keep telling myself some day I need to look into how to fix it haha.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

"fasten seat belts" warning light & buzzer won't turn off Empty Seatbelt/Starter Interlock System

Post by zucchi Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:32 am

This is a legacy of the Starter Interlock System car manufacturers deployed for the 1974 model year in order to comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard # 208.

GM's video for customers…

Chrysler's technical video…

I kinda wish GM had a system analyzer like Chrysler did.

Anyway, back when I bought my Monte Carlo in 1984, I put in the effort to restore the system's functionality. It actually got me out of a ticket several years later while at the same time, catching a motor cop in a lie claiming I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

Since this system is practically unknown to anyone today, it has the added benefit of acting like an anti-theft cutout system. Heck, just having a carbureted car would make it difficult to steal. The last new vehicle sold in the United States with a carburetor was the 1994 Isuzu Pickup and, having stumbled upon instruction videos on how to start a carbureted engine… well, what more needs to be said?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down