G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car weight

+4
fasrnur
thatfnthing
BBMALIBU
Iguy
8 posters

Go down

Car weight Empty Car weight

Post by Iguy Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Not sure if anyone has weighed their car at all four corners, but it definitely helps when you're looking for springs.  I borrowed a scale from a buddy just to see where the car is.  It's a '75 Malibu coupe, basically stock right now with a sbc 350 and th350 trans.  Weighed with near empty gas tank and spare tire in the trunk.

Car weight Weight11
Iguy
Iguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Car weight Empty Re: Car weight

Post by 73ss Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm

That's right in line with what my 73 weighed. Mine was 4000#'s even with a 454/th 400. Near empty gas tank also. Can't remember if the spare was in it. I didn't have the A/C compressor or brackets on at the time. I did have aluminum wheels and intake.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm

If those numbers are in line with my 1976, then cool. Especially since I shaved at least 200lb's off the front end.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the weight difference between empty and full tanks?

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Gas is about 6 pounds per gallon and water is about 8 pounds per gallon.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Mine weighed 3920 with just about a full tank of gas. Not as bad as most people think. Very Happy
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm

That is correct, and it goes to show that our cars are sometimes unfairly talked about as being way heavy. I filled my gas tank to the brim, and went straight to the scrap yard literally around the corner from the gas station, and my 73 SS, with stock everything, 350, Saginaw 4 speed (iron case), 3:42 posi, non A/C, swivel buckets & console, full spare, with stock jack plus an extra scissor jack, stock SS wheels with caps and trim rings, and only missing the A.I.R. pump, weighed 3816 lbs without me in it.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 am

clanceman427 wrote:That is correct, and it goes to show that our cars are sometimes unfairly talked about as being way heavy.  I filled my gas tank to the brim, and went straight to the scrap yard literally around the corner from the gas station, and my 73 SS, with stock everything, 350, Saginaw 4 speed (iron case), 3:42 posi, non A/C, swivel buckets & console, full spare, with stock jack plus an extra scissor jack, stock SS wheels with caps and trim rings, and only missing the A.I.R. pump, weighed 3816 lbs without me in it.  

Kevin, how far off is your 3816 number from what is on your title? Just curious. I never weighed mine but our cars are pretty much in the same ballpark except mines original bench seat and my title says 3662. Just curious.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 am

Joe, my title has 3 spots: Unladen weight, GVWR, and GCWR but all 3 are left blank unfortunately.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 am

Joe, according to my 1973 documentation, the swivel bucket seats option added 17lbs and the 4 speed center console added 9lbs. What do you estimate your wheel and tire difference from stock? I know you have Centerlines and some larger tires.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 am

Joe I forgot, your car was equipped with manual steering, correct? GM Heritage info states that power steering (which my car has) added 28lbs
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:26 am

It's really interesting- I just calculated out what the GM Heritage weight information states my car's curb weight should be based on the options, and it calcuated 3836lbs, which is only 20lbs over what I got at the scrap yard scale!

clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, I have manual steering. I want to weigh mine when I get it back together. Just curious how much the weights are different from whats on the title.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm

What are some of the things you guys have done to shed pounds on these cars?

I've done: Aluminum intake, radiator and wheels. Mini starter, That was almost 20#'s and no more hot soak starter problems from the headers.
When I did my tranny swap, The 200 4-r was 17#'s or so lighter than the TH-400, but the 200's torque converter is heavier due to the lock up clutch. At least the car didn't gain any weight from the swap.
I know I can shed a good 100#'s or so ditching the A/C system, but it works great and the older I get the wimpier I get and I like the A/C.

One of these days I'm going to tackle the front bumper.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by TrendSetter Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:54 pm

my old car was 3598 with me in it and in iron head sbc, flat pin on hood, gutted front bumper and a few other mods for weight reduction. went 11.80s in the 1/4.

TrendSetter
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down