G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electrician help

4 posters

Go down

electrician help  Empty electrician help

Post by Dead Man Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Im by know means a electrician but I do like to tinker with stuff I found a old variable speed switch laying around so I wired it up, and when checking I used a rumble motor out of a game controller.but the weird thing is when you first click the knob on its wide open/100% but when you turn the knob the power decreases. I thought it was supposed to do just the opposite/ barley on when you first click the knob to the right.ive switched the wires around buts its the same thing. what have I done wrong lol.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

electrician help  Empty Re: electrician help

Post by thatfnthing Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

It's all about the design of the rheostat -- whether the start of the knob travel is the high end of the resistance or the low end.  It can be either way.  It sounds like this one has its low resistance right at the start, so you have full power right at the start, then as you travel along the resistance 'wire' by turning the knob, you increase resistance and decrease the power.  Reversing the leads won't change anything, since the resistance acts the same in either direction of current flow.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Ahh thats what it is.thanks man. i can stop scratching my head now.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 am

Very Happy Great to have knowledgeable folks here with the right advice !...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:02 pm

thats for sure, I got me another one last night and wired it up all is good now. and found the diagram for the one I was trying to use and just like thatfnthing said it was meant to work that way.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Thumbs up
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Our living room ceiling fan and our kitchen vent fan are on switches like that. As soon as you click them on they are at full power then drop off as you turn them. For the ceiling fan it's no big deal because even when it has full power it takes a while to get up to speed, so you cross the high level and get to medium or low where you always want it before the fan cranks up really high. The kitchen ventilator fan is smaller, though, so it is going high speed as soon as it's on.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum