G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antenna booster needed?

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

Antenna booster needed? Empty Antenna booster needed?

Post by 1975 S3 Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 am

Going to upgrade stereo in car, currently 1990 Pioneer A/M F/M Cass. Radio reception is poor. Do the new radio's have better reception than the older models?, does an antennna booster really work?, or are we limited by the in windshield antenna? Any suggestions and recomendations welcome.

Thanks, Dave
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Antenna booster needed? Empty Re: Antenna booster needed?

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:22 am

FWIW, I have always used the stock windshield antenna alone and never needed a booster. The reception quality is all about the receiver: some are good, some bad, and some meh. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to determine beforehand which will be good and which won't. It's been a trial and error process.

I have a Pioneer right now that works well enough, but back in the day I had an old Craig unit that would pick up Mars on a cloudy day. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am

Back in 1981 my 73 SS came in excellent. My current 73, I had a late 80's AM/FM/Cassette Pioneer unit I bought on ebay new in the box in my car until recently that reception sucked,
seamed OK while sitting  in my garage but as soon as I started driving it would fade in and out.
I put in a new StereoSolutions unit in this spring and same thing, fades in and out. This unit has a USB port that comes out of the back of the unit and reaches my ash tray perfectly. I plug in a flash drive with about 8 Gig of 70"s and 80's music and that's all I listen to now and it sounds great. Maybe the antenna wire has broke down over the years, without replacing the windshield I guess you cant tell.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 am

They certainly are susceptible to damage right where the wire exits the glass -- when I had to have my windshield replaced, the Safelite guy went through 3 different windshields before he found one where some careless numbnuts at the shop hadn't broken the wire. So if it's making intermittent contact, that'll definitely be an issue, but I don't know if a booster would solve that.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down