G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert?

4 posters

Go down

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert? Empty what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

It is apparent to me that previous owners have had my center console in my 73 Chevelle SS 4 speed out and back in a bunch of times, as evidenced by the damage to the console base and the weird fasteners used. For example, the front 2 screws that hold my 4 speed insert on are these weird very small external hex head fasteners. That's not factory correct, right?? I believe all the thread insert clips are still present and correct, it's just that the screws have been incorrectly swapped out, lost, over the years.

Is there a guide to the correct factory fastener types for holding:
-the console base to the floor
-the 4 speed insert to the console base
-the center console "glove box" assembly to the console base and 4 speed insert

My factory manual doesn't show it. but I'd probably need a body/interior factory manual. Any help appreciated!
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert? Empty Re: what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert?

Post by Hawk03 Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 pm

So glad you asked this, I need center console fasteners too. The ziplock bag I have labeled "Center Console" doesn't include the screws. Not sure where I put them when I removed them.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert? Empty Re: what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert?

Post by clanceman427 Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 am

OK, got some good info here. I'm assuming the #8 fasteners called out are the chrome phillips head screws with the built-in washers, like what was used on the A pillar, B pillar, and C pillar trim and was also used on the ends of the upper door panels, and the rear 1/4 interior panels. Either that, or the black versions. But here is a great resource for what I asked for. Facebook in many ways is still the devil to me, but it's been a huge help in my 73 SS restoration Smile

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert? Consol10
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 am

Kev, I've never seen chrome screws used on a center console. Go with the black.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks Joe, makes sense. The #8 screws, are they Phillips heads, I'm guessing? And do they have the integrated washer, or just a black screw?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:15 am

The ones for the glove box do have an integrated washer. The visible ones at the front of the console, in the gray area are Phillips with no washer as well as the ones right in front of the glove box. So basically, if the screws are visible, no washers. I don't recall exactly, but the ones in the glove box had hex heads. My 4 speed console is packed away and buried or I'd check for you.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 am

I am in need of the #1 screw to fasten the console to the brackets. Googling 8.977 I receive the below results. Are these what I need? I don't need factory correct screws just something that will work with the brackets.

http://www.4speedconversions.com/9419402_r1.html

http://www.4speedconversions.com/9423284_r1.html
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am

Great thanks Joe. I believe I have the correct hex head bolts that assemble the console base to the floor inside/below the glove box. I believe they are 1/4" bolts. Hawk03, your links show the coarse and fine thread 5/16" bolts which are too big I believe but I'll check on my car at lunch and report back.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Hawk03, the bolts are 1/4" diameter thread, 3/4" threaded length, with a one-piece hex head with collar, 3/8" hex. The thread is NOT a regular 1/4-20 UNC machine thread, it is coarser (less threads per inch). I think you need to source factory bolts or be OK with forcing a regular 1/4-20 UNC bolt into the bracket.
I will attach a photo of the bolt
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 pm

what are the factory correct fasteners for center console, 4 speed insert, and glove box insert? Imag2022
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 pm

I believe I have seen those bolts used on license plate holders on square body S-10s. My brain is not giving up the info on where else they might be used, but I have a few in my S10 collection. So I'm thinking GM dealers might have some hanging around.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 pm

clanceman427 wrote:Hawk03, the bolts are 1/4" diameter thread, 3/4" threaded length, with a one-piece hex head with collar, 3/8" hex.  The thread is NOT a regular 1/4-20 UNC machine thread, it is coarser (less threads per inch).  I think you need to source factory bolts or be OK with forcing a regular 1/4-20 UNC bolt into the bracket.
I will attach a photo of the bolt

Thanks clanceman! That really helps. I will see if I can find anything on the web. I couldn't find anything in my miscellaneous stash that would work.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down