G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headers

3 posters

Go down

Headers Empty Headers

Post by fasrnur Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 pm

We have all heard the stories of how hard some headers are to install, just think about how much work this pair are?  lol
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g4v49k6bldfj2v4/AADxuljc5n5wCwj60kDtiOD9a/Pictures/Headers?dl=0&preview=2011-09-09_07-06-41_92.jpg
Then listen to what they sound like. I LOVE the sound of these and wish I could have a set for my Chevelle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWh_ewgoaEk
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Headers Empty Re: Headers

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:57 pm

The nascar boys were doing that in the 70's. Not sure if a street car would benefit from them in a meaningful way, but these are hella cool.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:24 pm

I believe the Ford boys were using them in the mid to late 60's in drag racing when they put a 427 S.O.C.H into Fairlanes. They still use them in modifies in dirt track racing. I love the sound they make when they're spinning a small block at 7500 plus.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:46 pm

180 degree headers sound great.  They split the firing order pulses between each bank/collector and aid in building mid range torque.  Since small Chevy firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, one bank/collector would have cylinders firing 1-4-6-7 into one side, and 8-3-5-2 in the other collector.  

They were a big secret to select NASCAR teams especially in qualifying for restrictor plate races in the 90s.  The secret was let out of the bag when Ernie Irvan or Sterlin Marlin flipped during an event and the crossover exhaust was in plain sight for tv cameras to show the entire viewing audience.    

You used to be able to buy Speedway Motors brand 180 headers that had crossovers behind the front cross member and would fit the 73-77 Chevelle, well, other than they required a dry sump oil system.

It's possible to make a set for a street car, if you had the header collectors both meet in a common location.  But keeping the cylinder tubes at equal length may be a struggle.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down