G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood ornament

3 posters

Go down

Hood ornament  Empty Hood ornament

Post by 77camino Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 am

I know a while back, several people where looking for a new hood ornament. Found this one on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/381650128532
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Hood ornament  Empty Re: Hood ornament

Post by Limey SE Mon May 30, 2016 2:24 pm

77camino wrote:I know a while back, several people where looking for a new hood ornament. Found this one on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/381650128532

not a Bad Price for it Either But I found mine, Actually 2 of them One is Pristine and other has no color on it I am going to paint it to see how it looks

Hood ornament  13220810

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 am

3G Chevelles had two different hood ornaments although using the same basic design. One was the common hood ornament in an open ring, the other had no ring and was bordered by a round attached wreath,. Anyone know why there are these two? My Chevelle originally came with the second type, it was a Tennessee car.

https://www.g3gm.com/t10204-hood-ornament#121306
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:21 pm

Not sure if I have ever seen the second type. Can you post a picture of yours?
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Hood ornament  Empty second hood ornament style

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:07 am

77camino wrote:Not sure if I have ever seen the second type. Can you post a picture of yours?

here is a pic of the second type of hood ornament put on 76 Chevelles. Never understood what the history of that was. My 76 Chevelle originally came with the second non standard ornament.
Hood ornament  76hoodornament-1
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 am

I will have to omit that I have not spent a lot of time studying the hood ornaments on our cars but I don’t think I have ever seen one like yours. Just curious, what assembly plant was your Malibu built?
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Hood ornament  Empty car history

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 am

77camino wrote:...I don’t think I have ever seen one like yours. Just curious, what assembly plant was your Malibu built?

The car was built at the Doraville plant in Aug 1975. The car was originally bought in Tennessee. I am the second owner but have had it for well over 30 years now. This type ornament was on the car when I bought it and I assume it was original but it was cracked. I got  a replacement but it was the standard type. I eventually found another of the second type ornament from a seller in the Midwest. I have seen several cars with the second style but only in the Midwest between the rectangle of Tennessee Ohio Missouri and Iowa.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:34 pm

Well you car was built early in the production year so that eliminates my theory off GM running out of a part mid way through the year. Have you started a introduction post and shared your long ownership story with your car? Please post pictures also.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Hood ornament  Empty yes I intro'ed myself and car in Intro thread

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:45 pm

77camino wrote:Well you car was built early in the production year so that eliminates my theory off GM running out of a part mid way through the year. Have you started a introduction post and shared your long ownership story with your car? Please post pictures also.

I'm surprised that no one here is familiar with this. It is very curious but it is also possible that this is an oddity related to early production at Doraville and maybe one other Midwest factory. The design seems to be taken from a hub cap center logo 3080. At the moment the second hood ornament type is on my car. It was less than a year ago that I finally found the first design again. I haven't gotten around to installing it on the car as I am in the middle of other renovations. I will get it out of storage and see if a part number is inscribed on it.

Here's a picture of hubcap 3080. Not sure which years it was used on Chevelles.

Hood ornament  Maibu-hubcap-3080
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Hood ornament  Empty undocumented hood ornament

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:19 pm

I found not one but two NOS hood ornaments of the type that my Malibu came with when I got it and presumably from the factory. The one that came with the car was cracked though and I replaced it with the standard one as pre internet I couldn't find another.

Here it is on the car. It blends better with the paint color FWIW.

Hood ornament  Hoodor10
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:11 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I found not one but two NOS hood ornaments of the type that my Malibu came with when I got it and presumably from the factory. The one that came with the car was cracked though and I replaced it with the standard one as pre internet I couldn't find another.

Just found another of the non standard hood ornaments pictured above. Again this was from the Midwest area I noted between Tennessee Ohio Iowa and Missouri. There are too many of these to be some aftermarket version and it must be a temporary undocumented factory issue for still unknown reasons. Since my car was an early production model in Aug 75 it had to be something related to that rather than end of model year part shortages,. Has anyone seen this ornament on El Caminos? I have only seen it paired with Chevelles.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down