G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

+13
Limey SE
fasrnur
alowerlevel
99B4C
73ss
thatfnthing
Hawk03
knightfan26917
Joe73
chevellelaguna
G3NUT
2fat2fly
pila
17 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 5 Empty Re: '76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

Post by DaveFury Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm

fasrnur wrote:Looks great Dave. Is that without a cut and buff? Cuz if it is, you can lay down some seriously nice paint and clear. Thumbs up

Thanks! The sides are still "out of the gun", but I had to wet sand some trash out of the hood and roof. Gonna do the rest of the panels one of these days.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

'76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap. - Page 5 Empty Re: '76 Cutlass High School tribute restoration. Update: frame swap.

Post by ant7377 Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Wow! Why was this necessary? Rot or something else?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:27 pm

ant7377 wrote:Wow! Why was this necessary?  Rot or something else?

Yes, rot. There was a previous repair done where the left lower control arm mounts and where rail goes up to follow the rear wheel well. It was done in a fashion that was not up to my standards. Also, a few body bushings were dry rotted as well. The new frame had absolutely zero rust and I got a super deal on it.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am

Looks Great Dave Brand new Car Now !

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:00 am

DaveFury wrote:

Yes, rot. There was a previous repair done where the left lower control arm mounts and where rail goes up to follow the rear wheel well. It was done in a fashion that was not up to my standards. Also, a few body bushings were dry rotted as well. The new frame had absolutely zero rust and I got a super deal on it.

Dave W.

I had my 77 repaired in the same spot. Yet I've seen them in junkyards completed ruined but by that area was fine. I don't get it. Maybe bad steel on some of them.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:15 pm

I bought a 74 elcamino once. The frame was repaired so bad that i almost was in 2 halves. The rear upper controlarms only sat in a poorly welded bracket, homemade from thin steel. The frame was rottet so bad i partet it out. It was a fun ride home though, feelt like the back wanted to go its own Way regardless of the front.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Limey SE wrote:Looks Great Dave Brand new Car Now !

Thanks Limey. Hey I might be going to Pecatonica this Sunday. How far away is that from you?

Dave W
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:26 pm

ant7377 wrote:
DaveFury wrote:

Dave W.

I had my 77 repaired in the same spot. Yet I've seen them in junkyards completed ruined but by that area was fine. I don't get it. Maybe bad steel on some of them.

That or maybe crap builds up in that area from the tire and holds moisture?

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Nice job!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:52 am

DaveFury wrote:
ant7377 wrote:
DaveFury wrote:

Dave W.

Dave W.

Crap definitely builds up there but it seem some are more resistant than others,I think. When buying one it's a good point to check there I guess
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveFury Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am

ant7377 wrote:
DaveFury wrote:
ant7377 wrote:
DaveFury wrote:

Dave W.

Dave W.

Crap definitely builds up there but it seem some are more resistant than others,I think. When buying one it's a good point to check there I guess

I totally agree.

Dave W.
DaveFury
DaveFury
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5