G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino

3 posters

Go down

door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino Empty door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino

Post by riddick75 Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:02 am

does any one know what other cars would the door spring for the detent work off of? I have seen one available for a 70 el camino from groundup.com just not sure if it would fit my 75. any input?
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino Empty Re: door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino

Post by pila Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Likely the G3s we are into, ...'73 to '77 Elco /Chevelle/ Malibu. Not sure about Monte, Cutlass etc...
Others here should know...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino Empty Re: door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am

Any 73-77 A body hinge will be the same, so the spring will interchange between all 73-77 A body models as well. I know you can buy the detention spring in the Lisle Help section of your local auto parts store. The springs on our cars had varrying tollerances. I have a box of spares and they vary in length up to about 3/16". Must have been made by different manyfactures.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 am

yea I found some at advance auto but they are about 1/4 inch shorter than the one original I still have. wasn't sure if that would make a difference in whether or not it would fall out.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:58 pm

I've noticed that the replacements have been getting shorter and shorter. I personally don't think it'll fall out, you have to compress them by almost an inch or more to get them into the hinge.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:40 pm

ok I didn't notice how tight they were before I took them out, basically just used a screw driver and had my hand over it so it wouldn't go flying. but didn't measure it before taking it out. driver door the roller detent didn't even have a roller anymore so the spring went long before I got it. maybe Ill try the advance auto springs and see how they work.

riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm

They might sell roller kits as well, if not, you'll likely have to replace the hinge itself.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:18 pm

I actually found a roller kit through tamraz off ebay, I have a feeling its really ment for the 2nd gen but everything matches up. ill find out once I assemble the hinge if I have to modify it at all. comes with the pins, bushings and the rollers.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:05 am

the kit works great. slightly different from stock but the roller and everything line up as it should. and the door spring from advanced auto fits in the hinge nice and tight even though its slightly shorter than the original.

door spring detent compatability for a 75 el camino Imgp3715
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down