G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DUI Distributor installation

2 posters

Go down

DUI Distributor installation Empty DUI Distributor installation

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm assuming the process would be the same Oldsmobile/Chevrolet small blocks/big blocks.
1976 Oldsmobile 350, My set-up is a factory HEI set-up. Curved with an Accel coil/module. After adding the new springs etc, I advanced my timing beyond the factory marks on the balancer to its optimum running potential .
I have heard that I would need a dial back timing light when installing the new DUI distributor due to possible unheard detonation.
Initially I was just going to install the old way, bring #1 piston up ttt pull the distributor then install the DUI unit with the rotor facing #1.
At that point I would advance the distributor until it pings or hard start them back it off some.
Any members here currently running a DUI distributor? Did you set it up with an induction Timing light or dial back timing light? What were your results with the timing marks on your balancer?
Thanks
Eric
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

DUI Distributor installation Empty Re: DUI Distributor installation

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Every engine is different. You have to set yours to what your engine likes. You have to set your initial timing, advance timing and mechanical timing. All have to work together. Also, you should find out how much timing your vacuum advance can allows. And what can you use would be dependent upon how much vacumm your car has at idle. Also, if your timing mark is jumping around with the light on it, your can is kicking in and out giving erratic timing.
Alot of variables setting it up to give you a nice idle, with high vacuum and a "crisp" throttle response.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks Joe, Its appears as thou I will need a dial back timing light to set the timing up bang on. Based on the 28 @ 3000 scribed on the bottom of the dizzy and what you are telling me would mean;
Total - mechanical = initial .... so if I wanted 36 total it would be 36- the 28 scribed on the DUI which would = 8 initial sound correct ?
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Ok, you could also get a timing tape for the harmonic. Much cheaper and easy to install. But they do peel off over time but you can mark it where you need it as well.

Do the dizzy is saying that it will put out 28 degrees at 3000. Where did you come up with the 36 total number? 8 initial seems pretty low.

On a small block chevy 34-38 total is a good number and most guys run 16-18 initial. And the advance adding 10 more at idle. Then above idle the advance disappears and they shoot for the 34-38 total. So around 26-28 at idle gives higher vacuum, cooler running temp and that crisp throttle response. But this is with a sbc.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 pm

I just threw the 36 out as an example, and yes 8 would likely be low. At this point I will pick up a dial back light for $80. rather than messin' around with the tape. The light will help me out a heck of alot more at this point. So much for going at it the old way. I will learn much more with respect to setting up the timing properly after using the light.
Thanks
Eric
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 pm

PM sent.
Joe73