G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door Latch Mechanisms

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Door Latch Mechanisms Empty Door Latch Mechanisms

Post by sportster_restorer Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Is there any supplier of new door latch mechanisms for a 74? My drivers door rattles a bunch and I'd love to just replace the latch mechanisms. I already have plastic on the striker pin on the body. I'm pretty sure that latch mechanism is toast. I replaced the latch on my 69 C-10 and couldn't believe how much better the doors closed.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Door Latch Mechanisms Empty Re: Door Latch Mechanisms

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:06 am

No one makes reproductions of the door latch. Best bet is to find a good used one. I know I have ones that aren't worn out, let me know if you can't find one out your way.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Maybe hit this guy up of the drivers side. He lists the pass. side.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/5175550357.html
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 pm

I was checking my door today, now that I've gotten the Laguna titled and inspected in Texas and I can start to drive it around. The door actually doesn't seem bad. Surprisingly the hinge pins feel good without a lot of slop. But it looks like its the window that rattles a ton, particularly when its down. Gotta tear off the panels and see what's up.

Thanks for all the help.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:09 pm

If all your nuts/bolts that hold the glass and channels in place are tight, here's a likely culprit.  Sits on top of the door frame and works in conjunction with the window guide as the window is rolled up/down.  That center "rib" is always broken and can allow window to rattle.  

Door Latch Mechanisms Window10

Also, I've seen where the linkage rod from the inner door handle to latch mechanism is loose and rattling when one or both of the plastic retainer sleeves that secure it to the door frame are broken.

P.S. If anyone needs one of these window guide brkts, let me know. I've found a few good ones.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 am

There are a couple brackets with felt fuzzy stuff on them, which keep tension against the glass from the inside. They are located at the top of the door, so you should see them when you remove the trim panels. They are adjustable too of course. If the pads on them are gone, you can make do with some felt glued on them....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum