G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on tailpipe exit

+15
1973montec
impalamonte
Laguna Budman
77cruiser
brian74montecarlo
pila
Wallyuph
thatfnthing
76 Malibu
cutlassguy
chevellelaguna
74 beast
bracketchev1221
Dinomyte
Tom77
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Opinions on tailpipe exit Empty Opinions on tailpipe exit

Post by 77cruiser Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:39 am

I'm going to do 3" ex. looking opinions & or pics on the tailpipe exit location.
I'm debating on rear exit stock location or behind the rear tires.
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Opinions on tailpipe exit Empty Re: Opinions on tailpipe exit

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:46 am

I like the stock location look.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Guess we all know where I stand on this one!
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Maybe something like this?Opinions on tailpipe exit 100_3850Opinions on tailpipe exit 100_3852
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Joe73 wrote:I like the stock location look.

X2
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm with Tom77
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:54 pm

I like behind the tire. For a little extra quietness I'd go to the bumper.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 beast Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 pm

I have mine to the rear bumper but am also going to move up to 3 inch. Not sure it well look rite going to bumper but i got time to make up my mind
74 beast
74 beast
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:06 am

I like them behind the rear tires for the summer look, However in early spring and fall when our cars are out, I like to see them out the back just to see the 2 gray exhaust streams powering straight out the back. I have them out the back with Flowmaster super44's  in my 76 Cutlass.
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I guess I'm old-school, I like out the back....

So, why a 3 inch system ?? More turbulence in big pipes, affecting exhaust gas flow velocity, according to folks who seem to know...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 pm

pila wrote:I guess I'm old-school, I like out the back....

So, why a 3 inch system ??   More turbulence in big pipes, affecting exhaust gas flow velocity, according to folks who seem to know...

Yup, I agree.  3" hurts performance on the low end unless you need 3" for your horsepower level.  2 1/2" pipes are good up to about 475hp.

Quick and Dirty Exhaust System Math

Easy Way To Estimate: Your intake system needs to flow 1.5 CFM per engine horsepower, and your exhaust system needs to flow 2.2 CFM per engine horsepower.

Good Way To Estimate: Take engine RPM x engine displacement, then divide by two. This is the intake volume. Use this same volume of air for the exhaust system, but then correct for thermal expansion (you need to know exhaust temps to figure things out).

Exhaust Pipe Size Estimate: A good section of straight pipe will flow about 115 CFM per square inch of area. Here’s a quick table that shows how many CFM each common pipe size will flow, as well as the estimated max horsepower for each pipe size:
Pipe Diameter (inches)  Pipe Area (in2) Total CFM (est.) Max HP Per Pipe    Max HP For A Dual Pipe System
1 1/2                         1.48                  171                78                    155
1 5/8                         1.77                  203                92                    185
1 3/4                         2.07                  239                108                   217
2                               2.76                  318               144                   289
2 1/4                         3.55                  408                185                   371
2 1/2                         4.43                   509               232                   463
2 3/4                         5.41                  622                283                   566
3                               6.49                  747               339                   679
3 1/4                         7.67                  882               401                   802
3 1/2                         8.95                  1029             468                    935

NOTE: These numbers are just estimates. All pipes are assumed to be 16 gauge steel.

The table above is probably over-estimating pipe size, but you can see that a 400 hp vehicle with a dual exhaust system only needs 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 inch pipes. Anything larger is overkill.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Great post with the exhaust data Joe ! I would agree that 3" would defiantly kill some low end torque unless your upwards of 500HP- 500+ TQ. I'd like to know what your running under that bad boy when you get a chance.

Eric
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:03 pm

I sold my 2 1/4" thrush header back system with Stainless sonic turbo mufflers when I took the car apart.  I'll be going with a 2.5" system, probably no crossover pipe but it would be an "H" pipe if I did, Pypes Race Pro stainless muffs (got them already) and stock exits at the bumper.  I will take every effort to have it all tucked up real tight to the bottom just like factory (and Chris' monte exhaust Thumbs up love his exhaust).  My opinion is, since the factory can tuck it up nice, we can too.  I really dont like when I can see the mufflers hanging below the rear axle tubes.  
Here's a pic of my 2 1/4" system before I took it out.  It tucked up pretty nice.  No muffs showing.

Opinions on tailpipe exit Chevelle%20008_zpsfjv6vrtq
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:41 pm

That looks good from the rear, tucked up nice and clean, I have full 2 1/4 stainless all mandrel bent/welded,  mine gets very tight going over the axles due to my original upper control arm fatigue. I have had a hard time keeping the pipes from rubbing against my coil springs. I installed vista cruiser station wagon coils after the exhaust was done... Big mistake, I had to put in a set of air shocks and run them @ 60psi to compensate for the rubbing. My next job is the rear upper and lower control arms at that point I can run the air shocks in around 25-30lbs.
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:48 pm

In my pic, those mufflers are "center" out just like stock. Most performance mufflers are "offset" out which usually brings the tail pipe closer to the spring. You have to keep playing with it to get it too clear. 3" is even closer.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Your absolutely rite Joe. When it comes to the Flowmaster super 44's 2 1/4".  I ordered them from summit and had shipped to Canada not realizing at the time the offset out would be such a PITA. No center-center in 2 1/4 in the summit magazine.  I've been trying to beat it over but no luck. It will take some heat and a BFPB to get it over far anuff. I have the center in offset out #flo-942447.  That's the problem when ordering out of a catalogue. I couldn't imagine stuffing 3" pipes up over the axles.
I'm looking forward to hearing from 77cruiser and what he has in mind.

Eric

Last edited by cutlassguy on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Ive never seen an offset in. You sure you have them in right. Offset out works and does clear pretty easily.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:02 pm

I have the centre in offset out yes in right. The bends could have been made tighter going over the axle for sure. I think its mainly due to the wagon springs I added pushing the rear up to high, moving the pipes within about 1/4" from the springs. The hangers 1/2dia rod are also welded onto the pipe inserted into a fabricated rubber cushioned metal box. So it makes it difficult to move without heating the pipe itself. Its only noticeable when going over pot holes or severe uneven pavement.
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Like I said, I'm old school ( make that just OLD )
The tips on my Malibu are supposedly a 70s design (?)

Opinions on tailpipe exit P1010716_zpsbd1b5a35

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:24 pm

I have 3"center in center out flowmasters and 3" tail pipes from Torque Tech, they clear perfectly.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Hopefully the 3" system doesn't hurt I'm putting a 421 sb should be a touch over 500hp.
Plan on dynoing it within a month. I want to find out also how my new headers do compared to off the shelf dyno headers.Opinions on tailpipe exit 100_3828Opinions on tailpipe exit 100_3849
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cutlassguy Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:34 pm

That nice work I must say. I couldn't imagine starting a project like that myself. I'm in shock actually. I hope they work out for you.
Cheers
Eric
cutlassguy
cutlassguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Very nice work on the headers! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 am

My car now has the exhaust out the back.  The muffler shop guy talked me into running it that way.  I don't really like it because you can really see a lot of the tail pipe from the side, and he put on massive truck style tips.  Does anyone have nice pics of a rear exit that is more factory like?  I am thinking of redoing the tail piple and going to either factory style or perhaps a behind the rear wheel exit.

Here's what I have now.

Opinions on tailpipe exit Malibu12
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:32 am

I agree. A tucked up tailpipe would be nicer. And either factory turndowns or cbrome tips would look good as well. Yours remind me of the monte ss tailpipes in the 80s. Car looks great!!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next